[Vision2020] Re: Logos Questions, and I why I expect Tom Garfield to respond

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:20:13 EST

-------------------------------1079036413

Paul and Visionaries:

Paul, perhaps you were not a reader/contributer of V2020 when Logos was a
topic of conversation earlier.  During that time many supporters of Logos
suggested that contacting Tom Garfield would be an excellent way to arrive at facts
rather than speculate on rumor or innuendo.  I think they are right, and so, I
wrote Mr. Garfield.  My questions were not randomly chosen or selected on the
basis or my own particular interest, but rather they are a combination of many
of the concerns people on this list-serve expressed.

Why shouldn't Tom Garfield want to answer my questions?  While he certainly
doesn't have to "justify" the curriculum to me or anyone other than the patrons
of the school and the Logos Board of Trustees, why would he want to hide or
fail to provide information about it?  If one were to call Moscow School
District and ask questions about curriculum content those questions would be
answered.  I assume that is the case with Logos as well.

Do I suspect that their understanding of American history is considerably
different from my own?  Of course I do.  As is their view of science, biblical
hermeneutics, and gender roles.  Do I think Logos ought to provide an education
for all interested parents or students - regardless of their physical or
intellectual status?  Of course I do.  (This might be a good time to consider the
Progressive question "What would Jesus do?" and I just don't remember Jesus
discriminating against disabled people - quite the contrary in fact.  It follows
that a school who theoretically places Jesus at the center of their scholastic
paradigm, may pick and choose what it means to be Christlike.)

If I don't like Tom Garfield's answers do I have any power to effect change?
Of course I don't.  As you indicated this is a private school and apparently
Logos meets the needs and expectations of many parents. Nonetheless, I think
my questions provide Tom Garfield with an opportunity to provide some
transparency for Logos School.  Surely he is not ashamed of the way they teach their
students, who is eligible to be a student, and staff salary equity.  Are these
contentious issues - some might think so.  But does that mean the questions
can't be asked?  Nope.

As for not doing you a "lick of harm," I don't know how you define "harm" in
this context, but it is my sense that the education a child receives and the
philosophies they are taught, has a ripple effect throughout their lives -- and
ultimately they do impact you and your children.

Rosemary Huskey
Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.

-------------------------------1079036413

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2734.1600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Paul and Visionaries:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Paul, perhaps you were not a reader/contributer of V2020=
 when Logos was a topic of conversation earlier.&nbsp; During that time many=
 supporters of Logos suggested that contacting Tom Garfield would be an exce=
llent way to arrive at facts rather than speculate on rumor or innuendo.&nbs=
p; I think they are right, and so, I wrote Mr. Garfield.&nbsp; My questions=20=
were not randomly chosen or selected on the basis or my own particular inter=
est, but rather they are a combination of many of the concerns people on thi=
s list-serve expressed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Why shouldn't Tom Garfield want to answer my questions?&=
nbsp; While he certainly doesn't have to "justify"&nbsp;the curriculum to me=
 or anyone other than the&nbsp;patrons of the school and the Logos Board of=20=
Trustees, why would he want to hide or fail to provide information about it?=
&nbsp; If one were to call Moscow School District and ask questions about cu=
rriculum content those questions would be answered.&nbsp; I assume that is t=
he case with Logos as well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Do I suspect that their understanding of American histor=
y is considerably different from my own?&nbsp; Of course I do.&nbsp; As is t=
heir view of science, biblical hermeneutics, and gender roles.&nbsp; Do I th=
ink Logos ought to provide an education for all interested parents or studen=
ts - regardless of their physical or intellectual status?&nbsp; Of course I=20=
do.&nbsp; (This might be a good time to consider the Progressive&nbsp;questi=
on "What would Jesus do?" and I just don't remember Jesus&nbsp;discriminatin=
g against disabled people - quite the contrary in fact.&nbsp;&nbsp;It follow=
s that&nbsp;a school who theoretically places Jesus at the&nbsp;center of th=
eir scholastic paradigm, may pick and choose what it means to be Christlike.=
)&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>If I don't like Tom Garfield's answers do I have any pow=
er to&nbsp;effect change?&nbsp; Of course I don't.&nbsp; As you indicated th=
is is a private school and apparently Logos meets the needs and expectations=
 of many parents. </FONT><FONT size=3D3>Nonetheless, I think my questions pr=
ovide Tom Garfield&nbsp;with an opportunity to provide some transparency for=
 Logos School.&nbsp; Surely he is not ashamed of the way they teach their st=
udents, who is eligible to be a student,&nbsp;and&nbsp;staff salary equity.&=
nbsp; Are these contentious issues - some might think so.&nbsp;&nbsp;But doe=
s that mean the questions can't be asked?&nbsp; Nope.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>As for not doing you a "lick of harm,"&nbsp;I don't know=
 how you define "harm" in this context,&nbsp;but it is my sense that the edu=
cation&nbsp;a child receives and the philosophies they are taught, has&nbsp;=
a ripple effect throughout their lives -- and ultimately they do impact you=20=
and your children.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Rosemary Huskey</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" PTSIZ=
E=3D"12"><FONT face=3DArial>Once you lose integrity everything else is easy<=
/FONT>.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>