[Spam] Re: [Vision2020] oil supply/demand

roger hayes rhayes@turbonet.com
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:50:14 -0800

Dick:
  Thanks for your public and private reply. I too remember 29 cent
gasoline. Indeed, I remember paying 25 cents a gallon at one point. I
also remember Moscow as a quieter town where not every college student
had a car, most high school students rode the bus or walked, and
pedestrians could ply the crosswalks with little fear. Ah, times have
changed.

That said, my largest concern is that our nation will not have the
tools to deal with the looming oil decline. Many studies show that we
have passed the apex of new oil discoveries. According to some studies,
new oil discoveries come in at 4 barrels to every 10 currently
consumed.  Within 10 or possibly fewer years, the price of gas may
create vast hardships for us. Yet, few are willing to acknowledge that
some planning must be done in order to prepare for this event.
Certainly, no leadership seems forthcoming from the current
Administration or Congress.  Then who should begin dealing with the
problem?  The answer is us. The consumer and citizen. Therefore, your
suggestions for conservation are well taken.

Precious oil is being wasted frivolously in gas guzzling vehicles
driven without thought for the future. What will prices of goods be if
transportation companies have to charge 2, 3 or more times the current
cost of fuel?  No matter how much money we make, this good life we
enjoy now will certainly change, and not for the better.

I do hope science, and citizens come up with some alternative,
workable, affordable fuel, but we must keep in mind that fuel energy is
not easily created.  While we have ample reserves to tide us over until
the infrastructure can change to provide this alternative, we should be
conserving our resources. We do not have enough to waste.

Sincerely,

Roger Hayes
Moscow