[Vision2020] And the winner is.........

Don Coombs mushroom@moscow.com
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:07:29 -0800

Carl Westberg wrote:
> Help Me Rhonda by the Beach Boys is indeed a great song.  But I'm
> reminded of the Dave Barry article about that particular song, and the
> difficulty of understanding the lyrics.  As Dave put it, the best he
> could guess was the lyrics went something like "Since you put me down,
> there's been owls puking in my
> bed"...

Absolutely correct!

And those words get me where I live.

In my defense (as though I could possibly need one) I had never heard
H.M. Rhonda until I had grown up, got older and got positively old. Then
   one Sunday morning, right after a traditionally droll discussion of
the national deficit, National Public Radio switched me from sleepy to
really really awake with H.M. Rhonda.

So I went to a record store and there was some 14-year-old girl with a
studded-belly-button behind the counter. She was chewing a lot of gum.

"Do you know 'Help Me Rhonda'" I asked? She took out her gum and sang
the whole thing, and then marched me back to counter three and handed me
the CD.

Owls and all, the song help, helps me.

If I told you the girl's name was Rhonda, you wouldn't believe me, so
why should I tell you?

Don Coombs