[Vision2020] Music to my ears

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Sat, 06 Mar 2004 15:42:11 -0800

>Ok.  I am a geek.  I got so excited with Rose's question that I had to
>answer, then go fondle some CDS, then pose a new question.  How about your
>top few CDs/LPs?  The ones where you like EVERY track?  Hmmmm?

Excellent advance on the original topic, Amy.  I'm old enough to remember
when there were radio stations that played AOR, Album Oriented Rock.  My
taste in music is eclectic -- it runs the gamut from Anonymous 4 singing
medieval chant and polyphony to Shakira's Laundry Service.  But, the albums
on which I love each and every song, skipping nothing, are:

Roxy Music's "Avalon."  Hoping for the perfect first date?  Buy a copy of
this album, drive somewhere that has a lovely night time view, preferably in
your classic Mustang convertible, switch off the engine and pop this into
the CD player.  Be sure your date hasn't been eating raw onions or pickled
eggs or dead mice or anything else breathily disgusting.

k. d. lang's "Absolute Torch and Twang" and "Ingenue."  What a voice that
woman has.  I've seen her live three times, and she always blows off the
roof.

Emmylou Harris' "Angel Band."  (I like to sing bluegrass gospel.  Farther
Along, Rock of Ages, Precious Memories . . . I'm an Appalachian nightmare
when I get in the mood.)

Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors."  Played to death for nearly thirty years now, but
who cares?  More than sufficient reason for Stevie Nicks, Lindsey
Buckingham, and Christine McVie to die happy.

Aria: A Passion for Opera.  This is essentially opera's greatest hits, sung
by its greatests voices, Maria Callas to Franco Corelli.  Or, as I like to
think of it, the vintage Bugs Bunny soundtrack.

Nicky Holland.  The album's title is eponymous.  I doubt if anyone on this
list will have heard of Ms. Holland, but she sings and plays piano, jazzy
style but hard to classify.  Sort of Diana Krall meets Norah Jones, only
Holland's lyrics are more interesting.  Undeservedly unknown.

Rose, Amy -- thanks for the change of topic.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx