[Vision2020] can we trust Earl Bennett?

bill london london@moscow.com
Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:56:30 -0800

--------------040608060800060705020205

Tom Trail's recent legislative report contained two interesting topics
(reprinted below): Integrity in Politics and House Bill 730.

I found the combination of the two fascinating, given the voting
decision made by Earl Bennett (Earl is the Republican challenger for
Shirley Ringo's representative seat).  When Trail went to the hospital
recently, he asked Bennett to replace him for a week, and left
instructions to vote in favor of House Bill 730.  Instead, Bennett voted
against HB 730.

First of all, Trail is right on this bill.  The bill should have
passed.  Limiting the rights of neighbors to speak out about the siting
of huge dairy operations near their homes is wrong.  The limitations
should be lifted, and that is what HB 730 did.  Trail was right to
support that.

Second, Bennett was wrong to vote no.  He was serving as a placeholder
for Trail, the elected representative.  Trail gave him instructions to
vote yes on this bill.  Instead, Bennett voted no.  Not only a mistake
(supporting mega-dairies at the expense of the people who will have to
live near them), but an index of poor judgment and lack of integrity.

We need to remember this episode when it comes to voting for our
representatives in November. BL

> 2. Integrity in Politics  --  Several recent articles with headlines
> like "Evidence mounts that Money buys Idaho Politicians", and "Quest
> donates large campaign donation to Governor and $8,000 to lawmakers to
> help pass the Quest Bill" have appeared in the Idaho Statesman.
> Band-Aid approaches are being utilized but there does not appear to be
> a concerted will to enact meaningful ethics reform.  I will be
> promoting public campaign finance reform again this coming year as
> well as full disclosure for any political candidate.
>

> 5. House Bill 730 - Currently, when a large dairy or feed lot
> operation is applying for a siting permit from the county, only people
> living within a one mile radius may attend the hearing.  This bill
> would have removed the one mile restriction.  I gave my substitute
> Earl Bennett instructions to support the measure.  He voted against it
> in committee and the bill was defeated.  I am working with committee
> members to bring the bill back for consideration.

--------------040608060800060705020205

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Tom Trail's recent legislative report contained two interesting topics
(reprinted below): Integrity in Politics and House Bill 730.<br>
I found the combination of the two fascinating, given the voting
decision made by Earl Bennett (Earl is the Republican challenger for
Shirley Ringo's representative seat).&nbsp; When Trail went to the hospital
recently, he asked Bennett to replace him for a week, and left
instructions to vote in favor of House Bill 730.&nbsp; Instead, Bennett
voted against HB 730.<br>
First of all, Trail is right on this bill.&nbsp; The bill should have
passed.&nbsp; Limiting the rights of neighbors to speak out about the siting
of huge dairy operations near their homes is wrong.&nbsp; The limitations
should be lifted, and that is what HB 730 did.&nbsp; Trail was right to
support that.<br>
Second, Bennett was wrong to vote no.&nbsp; He was serving as a placeholder
for Trail, the elected representative.&nbsp; Trail gave him instructions to
vote yes on this bill.&nbsp; Instead, Bennett voted no.&nbsp; Not only a mistake
(supporting mega-dairies at the expense of the people who will have to
live near them), but an index of poor judgment and lack of integrity.<br>
We need to remember this episode when it comes to voting for our
representatives in November. BL<br>
 cite="mid000001c403a1$54e9c140$376b56d1@gatewaysystem">
 face="Courier New"><span
 style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-weight: bold;">2. Integrity
 color="black"><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black;"><span
 style="">&nbsp; </span>Several recent articles with headlines
like "Evidence mounts that Money buys Idaho Politicians", and
"Quest donates large campaign donation to Governor and $8,000 to
lawmakers
to help pass the Quest Bill" have appeared in the Idaho Statesman.<span
 style="">&nbsp; </span>Band-Aid approaches are being utilized
but there does not appear to be a concerted will to enact meaningful
ethics
reform.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>I will be promoting public
campaign finance reform again this coming year as well as full
disclosure for
 face="Courier New"><span
 style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-weight: bold;">5. House Bill
 style="font-size: 9pt; color: black;"> Currently, when a
large dairy or feed lot operation is applying for a <span
 class="SpellE">siting</span>
permit from the county, only people living within a one mile radius may
attend
the hearing.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>This bill would have removed
the one mile restriction.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>I gave my
substitute Earl Bennett instructions to support the measure.<span
 style="">&nbsp; </span>He voted against it in committee and the
bill was defeated.<span style="">&nbsp; </span>I am working

--------------040608060800060705020205--