[Vision2020] Music to my ears

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Sat, 06 Mar 2004 01:33:22 -0600

Okay, I'll play, but I'll bend the rules a little.  It's hard for me to pick
the best all-time songs, bucause what I love to listen to changes based on
life, and growth and times . . .

I am always glad to return to folksy, melodic beautiful songs that have an
unsettling narrative or undertone, the ones that sound beautiful and
comforting until you pay attention to the words--The Banks of the Ohio, You
Are My Sunshine, Darcy Farrow, and My Opening Farwell  are some examples.

Then there are the songs that make my chest swell, because they are
universal (to my culture), thrilling, and delicious--Copeland's Appalachian
Spring, Amazing Grace, Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Dark As A Dungeon, and
almost anything that allows for superb harmonizing.  Imbedded in here is
almost anything that Emmylou Harris sings these days.

Finally, there are those songs by songwriters who are so gifted at narrative
or cleverness of language--Cole Porter, Bruce Cockburn, Woody Guthrie, Lucy
Kaplansky, John Gorka, Cliff Eberhardt (I think), Joni Mitchell, Jackson
Browne, The Indigo Girls, almost anything by Traditional.

I can't find my Sing Out!, thus can't check my memory.  But I have a serious
request.  I just ordered a Peggy Seeger songbook that is probably to die
for.  Who plays string and other instruments, and when can we have a
hootenany?

Good topic change, Rose.  Though I am a fan of all your contributions and
challenges posted on V2020.

Amy Smoucha