[Vision2020] Smart VP Picks--what do YOU think?

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:45:17 -0800

You left out a couple of possibilities, Tim.

Gov. Tom Vilsack of Iowa.  Very popular; well-known in the mid-west.

Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana.  Could well carry Louisiana, where a
Democrat was just elected governor.  Louisiana is not firmly in the
Republican camp.  Sen. John Breaux, who's retiring from the Senate this
year, is another Louisiana possibility.

Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida.  Not as kooky as Graham; good speaker.

Sen. Evan Bayh of Indiana.  Popular Senator, son of a popular former
governor.  Could swing Indiana.

I think, however, that given the tight nature of the Senate (i.e., number of
Republicans vs. number of Democrats) the most likely pick is either Gov.
Richardson or Gov. Vilsack.  We (the Democrats) will want to hold onto those
senate seats.  Also, voters seem to like having former governors in the
White House.  Having one as VP might at least partially address that desire.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment