[Vision2020] About The French

DonovArn@aol.com DonovArn@aol.com
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:24:00 EST

-------------------------------1078370640

http://www.almanacnews.com/morgue/2003/2003_05_28.kenyon.html

World War II vet touched by French hospitality
By H. Robert Kenyon
I am writing to you regarding the May 14 article about World War II veteran
Michael Salome's decision to return a medal he had received from France due to
France's refusal to back the United States in the Iraq war.
I am acquainted with Mr. Salome and I have met him on several occasions. I
also knew that he was a prisoner of war.
I respect him for what he has done and also for all the time that he has put
in at the VA Hospital assisting other veterans who are less fortunate. I have
the same medal that Mr. Salome said he is returning. It was presented to me in
Periers, Normandy, on the 50th anniversary of D-Day.
I know that the French government has taken a beating recently but I can
assure you that the French people do not feel the same way.
They have welcomed us into their homes, including during the three times I
have been back there, for the 40th and 50th anniversaries of D-Day and for the
monument dedication ceremony in the year 2000. For me, it feels like going
home. The villagers could not have been more gracious. One man in particular is
responsible for this, and his name is Henri Levaufre.
He has kept alive the memory of July 28, 1944, the day my unit, the 90th
Infantry Division, liberated Periers.
It was a bitter battle. The Germans knew that this would be the breakout
point as we would now be getting out of hedgerow country. The village also was
strategically important as it anchored the Periers St. Lo road.
The citizens of Periers lost 128 people, killed in taking the village. There
were only 2,500 people in that town. I was wounded on July 26 and never made
it into Periers.
However, the villagers never forgot that we liberated them from German
tyranny. On the D-Day anniversaries, through the hard work of Mr. Levaufre, the
citizens of Periers welcomed us to their village.
We had never met them before, but they put us up, gave us breakfast and
dinner, and they even gave my wife and I their bedroom. I have never been so
overwhelmed in my life.
They constantly told us that they would never forget what we did in
liberating them. It brought tears to my eyes. Two years ago the citizens of Periers
dedicated a monument in honor of the 90th Infantry Division, the "Tough Ombres,"
a nickname given to us by General Patton.
The 90th Division was in combat longer than any division in the European
campaign. We also sustained the third highest casualties. We had 18,460 battle
casualties, 9,157 non-battle, for a total of 27,617.
The percentage of turnover was 196 percent. We fought from D-Day to the end
of the war on May 8, 1945. I am proud to have served in the 90th Infantry
Division and I am still in touch with a number of men from my outfit. They had
undaunted courage. They fought from the Normandy beaches to the surrender of
Germany.
I have a great affinity for the French people and what they did for us. I
will never forget them and I hope that this French bashing will stop because the
people who are doing it cannot comprehend what really happened in World War
II.
I have no intention of returning any of the decorations that I received from
France as I feel it would be an insult to the citizens of Periers. When I pass
away and the final call of Taps is played over my grave, it will be in
Periers. I plan to return to where my fallen comrades have lain for these past 59
fine years.
H. Robert Kenyon lives on Sunset Lane in Menlo Park.

-------------------------------1078370640

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>
<DIV>In Response to Mr. Duffau:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href=3D"http://www.almanacnews.com/morgue/2003/2003_05_28.kenyon.htm=
l">http://www.almanacnews.com/morgue/2003/2003_05_28.kenyon.html</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<H1>World War II vet touched by French hospitality </H1></FONT>
<P></I><B>By H. Robert Kenyon=20
<P></EM></B>
<H1></H1></I></FONT>I am writing to you regarding the May 14 article about W=
orld War II veteran Michael Salome's decision to return a medal he had recei=
ved from France due to France's refusal to back the United States in the Ira=
q war.=20
<P>I am acquainted with Mr. Salome and I have met him on several occasions.=20=
I also knew that he was a prisoner of war.=20
<P>I respect him for what he has done and also for all the time that he has=20=
put in at the VA Hospital assisting other veterans who are less fortunate. I=
 have the same medal that Mr. Salome said he is returning. It was presented=20=
to me in Periers, Normandy, on the 50th anniversary of D-Day.=20
<P>I know that the French government has taken a beating recently but I can=20=
assure you that the French people do not feel the same way.=20
<P>They have welcomed us into their homes, including during the three times=20=
I have been back there, for the 40th and 50th anniversaries of D-Day and for=
 the monument dedication ceremony in the year 2000. For me, it feels like go=
ing home. The villagers could not have been more gracious. One man in partic=
ular is responsible for this, and his name is Henri Levaufre.=20
<P>He has kept alive the memory of July 28, 1944, the day my unit, the 90th=20=
Infantry Division, liberated Periers.=20
<P>It was a bitter battle. The Germans knew that this would be the breakout=20=
point as we would now be getting out of hedgerow country. The village also w=
as strategically important as it anchored the Periers St. Lo road.=20
<P>The citizens of Periers lost 128 people, killed in taking the village. Th=
ere were only 2,500 people in that town. I was wounded on July 26 and never=20=
made it into Periers.=20
<P>However, the villagers never forgot that we liberated them from German ty=
ranny. On the D-Day anniversaries, through the hard work of Mr. Levaufre, th=
e citizens of Periers welcomed us to their village.=20
<P>We had never met them before, but they put us up, gave us breakfast and d=
inner, and they even gave my wife and I their bedroom. I have never been so=20=
overwhelmed in my life.=20
<P>They constantly told us that they would never forget what we did in liber=
ating them. It brought tears to my eyes. Two years ago the citizens of Perie=
rs dedicated a monument in honor of the 90th Infantry Division, the "Tough O=
mbres," a nickname given to us by General Patton.=20
<P>The 90th Division was in combat longer than any division in the European=20=
campaign. We also sustained the third highest casualties. We had 18,460 batt=
le casualties, 9,157 non-battle, for a total of 27,617.=20
<P>The percentage of turnover was 196 percent. We fought from D-Day to the e=
nd of the war on May 8, 1945. I am proud to have served in the 90th Infantry=
 Division and I am still in touch with a number of men from my outfit. They=20=
had undaunted courage. They fought from the Normandy beaches to the surrende=
r of Germany.=20
<P>I have a great affinity for the French people and what they did for us. I=
 will never forget them and I hope that this French bashing will stop becaus=
e the people who are doing it cannot comprehend what really happened in Worl=
d War II.=20
<P>I have no intention of returning any of the decorations that I received f=
rom France as I feel it would be an insult to the citizens of Periers. When=20=
I pass away and the final call of Taps is played over my grave, it will be i=
n Periers. I plan to return to where my fallen comrades have lain for these=20=
past 59 fine years.=20
<P><B>H. Robert Kenyon lives on Sunset Lane in Menlo Park.</B></I> </EM></P>=
</DIV></BODY></HTML>