[Vision2020] Uncovering Fox News

MoveOn.org Stuff thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jun 30 14:50:56 PDT 2004

For years, Fox News has been distorting the facts, covering for President Bush,
and bashing groups like MoveOn. Now Uncovered director Robert Greenwald --
working with a group of Fox-monitoring MoveOn members -- has put together a
documentary film that exposes Fox for what it is: partisan spin, not news.

We're using this movie to launch an organizing campaign with Common Cause and
other great groups to "out" Fox News -- making sure everyone in the country
knows the network is stumping for the Republican agenda.

Be among the first to see this new movie, help others see it, and take on Fox
by hosting an Outfoxed house party on Sunday evening, July 18th. Sign up at:

http://action.moveon.org/outfoxed/newmeeting.html

Fox News star Bill O'Reilly will stop at nothing in acting as a partisan flak
for Bush. When the 9/11 Commission reported finding no evidence of a link
between Iraq and al-Qaeda, O'Reilly lashed out at the nation's major newspapers
for reporting it. In June alone, O'Reilly compared Bush critics Michael Moore
and Al Franken to Nazi propagandists and journalist Bill Moyers to Mao Zedong.

Unfortunately, parroting the Republican Party message is common in Fox's
regular news reporting as well. Outfoxed features interviews with seven ex-Fox
News employees who describe how, every day, highly partisan talking points are
drawn up to influence newscasts.

When Michael Moore was asked what surprised him most during the making of
Fahrenheit 9/11, he described his discovery of archived news footage the
networks had edited or not aired at all in order to protect President Bush's
image. His comments highlight the media's recent failure to independently
evaluate Bush's claims before the war -- and no network failed more completely
than Fox.

In addition to Common Cause, our partners on this campaign include the Center
for American Progress, Free Press, Media Matters for America, and Fairness and
Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR).

On Sunday, July 18th, we'll get together to see the compelling evidence of
Fox's partisanship presented in the Outfoxed film. Then we'll all join an
interactive coast-to-coast conference call with Al Franken and director Robert
Greenwald, to plan out how we'll take on Fox and take back our media.

Can you host a party on Sunday evening, July 18th? Sign up now at:

http://action.moveon.org/outfoxed/newmeeting.html

Inviting friends, family, and co-workers who have concerns about the media is a
great way to get them involved. As a host, you have the option of just inviting
people you know, or allowing MoveOn and Common Cause members in your area to
join you. We'll provide you with a simple step-by-step guide to putting on a
house party. We'll also ask some others to bring snacks and drinks, and to stay
late to help clean up.

After you sign up to host a house party, you can get a DVD or VHS copy of
Outfoxed for a $10 contribution.

Together, we will make a tremendous difference in this campaign.

Thank you, for all you do.

Sincerely,
--Wes Boyd and Noah T. Winer
  MoveOn.org
  June 30th, 2004

P.S. You can see a teaser for Outfoxed in QuickTime format at:
http://clips.outfoxed.org/OutFoxedTeaserMed.mov

Or in Windows Media format at:
mms://clips.outfoxed.org/trailer.wmv

Sources: