[Vision2020] "Restoring America"

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 01:35:02 PDT 2004

If one is watching the Presidential campaign they should notice that Kerry
is trying to be as vague and without substance as humanly possible. While
there can two advantages to this system;

1) He reduces political friction between the many diverse Anti-Bush people,
2) He reduces the numbers of attacks against what he says because he isn't
saying anything,

I still think this is a flawed strategy. While I will agree with the basic
premise behind the argument of pursuing this strategy, that this election is
about BUSH and not Kerry or anyone else, I think Kerry should pursue a
strategy of "Restoring America".

Kerry should turn the national dialogue toward the question, "When is the
right time to restore the economy, the budget, US-World Relations, our civil
rights, and the Middle East?"

Kerry should announce that if he is elected, he will move the nation toward
"Restoring America", return US jobs moved overseas, return to a balanced
budget, stabilize the Middle East, return world faith in the US, and repeal
segments of the Patriot Act that infringe upon the civil rights of all
hardworking, law-abiding Americans.

This is a positive message that has little opposition among Americans, and
Bush cannot state he supports these goals. If Bush is for a balanced budget,
why didn't he submit one? If Bush was for repealing parts of the Patriot
Act, why is he trying to expand it? If he is for returning US jobs from
overseas, why did he allow them to leave? Destruction of US-World Relations
and destabilization of the Middle East were intentionally done by the Bush
Administration, so this goes contrary to Bush's record as well.

The only way Bush could stay positive in his campaign is to oppose
everything he has done for the last 4 years.

I think with a 42% approval rating (as of 6.28.04), Bush is in serious
trouble, but let us not forget the 1948 and 1988 elections. A complacent
campaign can often lead to an unexpected and sour defeat.

Donovan J Arnold
Political Scientist