[Vision2020] CIA Operative's Book "Imperial Hubris" Backed by "lefty media supporters"

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Jun 25 13:51:50 PDT 2004

All:

Yes, indeed, Bush supporters are painting the book "Imperial Hubris" as
connected to "left wing media."

This choice piece of op-ed hysteria shows how desperate the right wing is to
mud sling against Bush critics:

http://www.newaus.com.au/042106hatebushbook.html

Consider these quotes from this article:

"The point is that any honourable man who feels as strongly about the Iraq
war, as this intelligence officer is so supposed to, would have the guts to
resign before publishing a vitriolic attack on the Command in Chief."

"In fact, he would have resigned once the invasion began. That he did not,
assuming that he is what he claims to be, reveals a cowardly character for whom
patriotism, courage and honour have little or no meaning."

So we are to believe that for someone in the CIA to come forward to argue
that killing and maiming thousands of US troops and Iraq civilians for what the
author believes is a misguided war "reveals a cowardly character for whom
patriotism, courage and houour have little meaning."

It's been said that "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

The aphorism fits!

The attacks against the patriotism of critics of the Iraq war are often
conducted by scoundrels who wear the flag of patriotism to hide their hatred of
free and open debate about the war. And debate about the need for or demand to go
to war and ask citizens to die on foreign soil for their country is the kind
of debate that should occur with full force in public in a democracy.
Otherwise how can we guard against our leaders taking us to war for unfounded or
unnecessary reasons?  Oh, wait, I'm sorry, we are just supposed to trust our
leaders superior and divine wisdom!  Don't question authority.

The full public debate about the Iraq war that should have occurred before we
invaded did not occur.  Now we are seeing the debate that should have
happened go public, too little, too late.

The article referenced above also uses some of the quotes Pat Kraut posted to
V2020 from Democrats who have made statements that appear to support Bush
administrations policy regarding Iraq.  I already sliced and diced this attack on
Iraq war critics on V2020.

Ted Moffett