[Vision2020] USA government growth

Robert Probasco rcprobasco@fastmail.fm
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:50:24 -0700

It seems the paintbrush may be a bit broad here.  As I remember it, the
Republicans were targeting the kudzu growth of social programs which
emanated from the New Deal and Great Society.  Republicans voiced the
need to support "those programs which cannot be accomplished at the local
level."  Coining the money and providing for the national defense were
always federal projects.

Local programs were supposed to be controlled locally: education, police
& fire protection, city zoning ordinances.  However, when the
constituents raised a ruckus about the need for improvement, it became
much easier for Washington bureaucrats to throw money at some perceived
ill than to get the locals to take responsibility for fixing the wrongs.

Please note; I do not deny the need for federal intervention in 1954
(Brown vs. Board of Education).  I do think federal intervention in
marriage regulations is only necessary because our inane, convoluted tax
code is serving so many special interests.  It would be preferable to fix
the tax laws [insert big sardonic laugh] than to attempt to regulate
human emotions.

Once again, I refer readers to THE DEATH OF COMMON SENSE: How Law Is
Suffocating America By Philip K. Howard Random House, 1994.

Robert Probasco