[Vision2020] gravel pits

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:54:23 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C44959.21601B00

Wayne writes:

>Gravel pits can have horrible adverse impacts.  Crushing and blasting op=
erations can be heard for >miles.  Dust becomes a problem.  Heavy, someti=
mes arrogantly reckless, large truck traffic will be >increased.  Blastin=
g can affect the water table -- some might lose wells.  [This happened wi=
th a small >gravel pit in our neighborhood.]

My family and I know this to be true to our sorrow.  Many years ago, the =
county commissioners (including Democrat Loreca Stauber) voted unanimousl=
y to grant a conditional use permit to North Idaho Crushing to operate a =
gravel pit across the road from our home.  The noise was terrible, the du=
st and the diesel fumes sometimes chokingly thick, and the traffic fast a=
nd heavy.  Living next door to this industrial operation was a nightmare,=
 made worse by the county's decision to allow the rock pit to lease space=
 to an agricultural chemical supplier.  (The reasoning, apparently, was s=
ince they'd already approved the rock pit, what the heck?  Why not have a=
n industrial free-for-all?)  So, in addition to the racket of the rock cr=
usher, we also got to enjoy the wonderful view and aroma of an enormous a=
nhydrous ammonia tank right outside our kitchen window.

In the summer months, the operational hours of these two businesses were =
24/7.  Though the county agreed to restrict North Idaho Crushing's workin=
g hours from 6 am to 9 pm, these restrictions did not apply to the ag. ch=
emical folks, nor to the loading of gravel trucks.  Ever awakened to the =
sound of ten tons of basalt rock hitting the metal bottom of a dump truck=
?  Or an anhydrous ammonia tank being refilled from two a.m. to four a.m.=
 by a loudly chugging tractor-trailer?  We did, for more than a decade.  =
The restrictions the county imposed on these businesses were minimal and,=
 as we discovered, unenforceable.  When we complained -- and that was oft=
en -- offering clear and undisputed evidence that some practice or anothe=
r was in violation of county ordinance, we were told time and again that =
the county had neither the manpower nor the money to enforce its own rule=
s.  Gravel was stored next to a creek on a floodplain; no problem.  There=
 was a diesel filling station next to the same creek; hunky-dory.  Great =
chunks of rock were regularly blasted across the road and into our front =
yard (and once through a neighbor's roof); peachy keen.  Nothing the coun=
ty could or would do.  =20

Eventually, we hired an attorney, and after three years of legal battles =
and God knows how much money, the gravel pit made us an offer we couldn't=
 refuse: they bought us out.  Of course, the value of the house wasn't wh=
at it might have been if it hadn't been across the road from a gravel pit=
 and an ag. chemical depot, but what can you do?  Tim, unfortunately, is =
right on this point -- it doesn't seem to matter if the commissioners are=
 Democrats or Republicans.  In Latah County, gravel pit trumps homeowner =
each and every time.

I pity those folks up near Potlatch, I really do.  They have a long, frus=
trating, hopeless battle ahead of them.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment       Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Exp=
lorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C44959.21601B00

<HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff" STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;b=
ackground-color:#ffffff; "><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Wayne writes:</DIV> <DI=
V>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;Gravel pits can have horrible adverse impacts.&nb=
sp; Crushing and blasting operations can be heard for &gt;miles.&nbsp; Du=
st becomes a problem.&nbsp; Heavy, sometimes arrogantly reckless, large t=
ruck&nbsp;traffic will be &gt;increased.&nbsp; Blasting can affect the wa=
ter table -- some might lose wells.&nbsp; [This happened with a small &gt=
;gravel pit in our neighborhood.]</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>My family =
and I know this to be true to our sorrow.&nbsp; Many years ago, the count=
y commissioners (including Democrat Loreca Stauber) voted unanimously to =
grant a conditional use permit to North Idaho Crushing to operate a grave=
l pit across the road from our home.&nbsp; The noise was terrible, the du=
st and the diesel fumes sometimes chokingly thick, and the traffic fast a=
nd heavy.&nbsp;&nbsp;Living next door to this industrial operation was a =
nightmare, made worse by the county's decision to allow the&nbsp;rock pit=
 to lease space to an agricultural chemical supplier.&nbsp; (The reasonin=
g, apparently, was since they'd already approved the rock pit, what the h=
eck?&nbsp; Why not have an industrial free-for-all?)&nbsp; So, in additio=
n to the&nbsp;racket of the rock crusher, we also&nbsp;got to enjoy the w=
onderful&nbsp;view and aroma of an enormous anhydrous ammonia tank right =
outside our kitchen window.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>In the summer mo=
nths, the&nbsp;operational hours of these two businesses&nbsp;were 24/7.&=
nbsp; Though the county agreed to restrict North Idaho Crushing's working=
&nbsp;hours from&nbsp;6&nbsp;am to 9 pm, these restrictions did not apply=
 to the ag. chemical folks, nor&nbsp;to the loading of gravel trucks.&nbs=
p; Ever awakened to the sound of ten tons of basalt rock hitting the meta=
l bottom of a dump truck?&nbsp; Or an anhydrous ammonia tank being refill=
ed from two a.m. to four a.m. by a loudly chugging tractor-trailer?&nbsp;=
 We did, for more than a decade.&nbsp; The restrictions the county impose=
d on these businesses were minimal and, as we discovered, unenforceable.&=
nbsp; When&nbsp;we&nbsp;complained -- and that was often --&nbsp;offering=
 clear and&nbsp;undisputed evidence that some practice or another was in =
violation of&nbsp;county ordinance, we were told time and again that the =
county&nbsp;had neither the manpower nor the money to enforce its own rul=
es.&nbsp; Gravel&nbsp;was stored next to a creek on a floodplain; no prob=
lem.&nbsp; There was a diesel filling station next to the same creek; hun=
ky-dory.&nbsp; Great chunks of rock were&nbsp;regularly blasted across th=
e road and into our front yard (and once through&nbsp;a neighbor's roof);=
 peachy keen.&nbsp; Nothing the county could or would do.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DI=
V> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Eventually, we hired an attorney, and after thr=
ee years of legal battles and God knows how much money, the gravel pit ma=
de us an offer we couldn't refuse: they bought us out.&nbsp; Of course, t=
he value of the house wasn't what it might have been if it hadn't been ac=
ross the road from a gravel pit and an ag. chemical depot, but what can y=
ou do?&nbsp; Tim, unfortunately, is right on this point --&nbsp;it doesn'=
t seem to matter if&nbsp;the&nbsp;commissioners&nbsp;are Democrats or Rep=
ublicans.&nbsp; In Latah County, gravel pit trumps homeowner each and eve=
ry time.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I pity those folks up near Potlatch=
, I really do.&nbsp; They have a long, frustrating, hopeless&nbsp;battle =
ahead of them.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishmen=
t&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HT=

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C44959.21601B00--