[Vision2020] The Bookie's hostile take over

bill london london@moscow.com
Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:05:49 -0700

--------------060407070608020100050201

Yes, B&N took over Bookie, see WSU article below......BL

----
PULLMAN, Wash. -- Following an extensive review process, the board of
directors of Washington State University's Students Book Corporation
("the Bookie") has agreed to contract with Barnes & Noble College
Booksellers to manage all Bookie locations around the state, including
Pullman, Spokane, Tri-Cities and Vancouver, beginning July 1.

Barnes & Noble, the nation's oldest and largest retail bookseller,
currently operates more than 500 campus bookstores nationwide.

In seeking proposals to provide management services for the Bookie, the
board's key goals were to maintain the lowest possible price of
textbooks, to maximize returns to the Bookie and to provide a
financially stable base for continued bookstore operations. Students
will continue to receive an 8 percent point-of-sale discount on their
textbook purchases.

Board members said the partnership will combine the best aspects of the
Bookie's pricing and practices while leveraging the experience and
resources of this international company. The board will continue to
provide oversight to the Bookie, while the day-to-day management of the
bookstores will be in the hands of the Barnes & Noble retail experts.

The Students Book Corporation Board of Directors is made up of five WSU
students recommended by the Associated Students of WSU and the Graduate
and Professional Student Association, two tenured faculty recommended by
the president and two administrators recommended by the vice president
of business affairs. The board has been reviewing the responses to the
request for proposals that was issued December 15, 2003.

Board chair Ashley Lund said, "It is important to note that the students
will continue to own the Bookie; we believe that contracting with Barnes
and Noble will improve the returns to retained earnings, improve the
return to students while ultimately resulting in lower textbook prices
to students.

" Board secretary Francis Stroshal said, "The change in management of
the Bookie is first and foremost to benefit students. We want to expand
the opportunities provided by the Bookie to give the students of WSU the
best services possible."

Board faculty representative Ron Mittlehammer praised the role of the
student board members in making the change. "Without the tremendous
leadership of the student directors, this transition would not have been
possible," he said.

The transition to the new management will occur over the next month.
Analysis of the transitions of similar university stores to Barnes &
Noble has revealed that the vast majority of employees retain employment
under the new management.

The University of Colorado, the University of Michigan, Ohio State
University, Pennsylvania State University, Texas A & M, the University
of Maryland-College Park and the University of Mississippi are among the
major state universities whose bookstores are currently operated by
Barnes & Noble College Booksellers.

For more information on Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, see
http://www.bkstore.com
---

bubba jones wrote:

> I heard today that Barnes and Noble has just overthrown the current
> leadership at the WSU bookstore.  Can anyone verify?
>
> I also heard that there was an undisclosed amount of money given to
> WSU and a Board member by the name of Barry will not tell anyone how
> much money exchanged hands.
>
> BJ

> Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up - now 3 months
> FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

> List services made available by First Step Internet, serving the
> communities of the Palouse since 1994.
> http://www.fsr.net
> mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
>
> .

--------------060407070608020100050201

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Yes, B&amp;N took over Bookie, see WSU article below......BL<br>
----<br>
 face="Arial">PULLMAN, Wash. -- Following an extensive review process,
the board of directors of Washington State University&#8217;s Students Book
Corporation ("the Bookie") has agreed to contract with Barnes &amp;
Noble College Booksellers to manage all Bookie locations around the
state, including Pullman, Spokane, Tri-Cities and Vancouver, beginning
July 1. <br>
Barnes &amp; Noble, the nation&#8217;s oldest and largest retail bookseller,
currently operates more than 500 campus bookstores nationwide. <br>
In seeking proposals to provide management services for the Bookie, the
board&#8217;s key goals were to maintain the lowest possible price of
textbooks, to maximize returns to the Bookie and to provide a
financially stable base for continued bookstore operations. Students
will continue to receive an 8 percent point-of-sale discount on their
textbook purchases. <br>
Board members said the partnership will combine the best aspects of the
Bookie&#8217;s pricing and practices while leveraging the experience and
resources of this international company. The board will continue to
provide oversight to the Bookie, while the day-to-day management of the
bookstores will be in the hands of the Barnes &amp; Noble retail
experts.<br>
 face="Times New Roman" size="3"><span
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;">The Students Book
Corporation Board of Directors is made up of five WSU students
recommended by the Associated Students of WSU and the Graduate and
Professional Student Association, two tenured faculty recommended by
the president and two administrators recommended by the vice president
of business affairs. The board has been reviewing the responses to the
Board chair Ashley Lund said, "It is important to note that the
students will continue to own the Bookie; we believe that contracting
with Barnes and Noble will improve the returns to retained earnings,
improve the return to students while ultimately resulting in lower
textbook prices to students.<br>
" Board secretary Francis Stroshal said, "The change in management of
the Bookie is first and foremost to benefit students. We want to expand
the opportunities provided by the Bookie to give the students of WSU
the best services possible." <br>
Board faculty representative <strong>Ron Mittlehammer</strong> praised
the role of the student board members in making the change. "Without
the tremendous leadership of the student directors, this transition
would not have been possible," he said. <br>
The transition to the new management will occur over the next month.
Analysis of the transitions of similar university stores to Barnes
&amp; Noble has revealed that the vast majority of employees retain
employment under the new management. <br>
The University of Colorado, the University of Michigan, Ohio State
University, Pennsylvania State University, Texas A &amp; M, the
University of Maryland-College Park and the University of Mississippi
are among the major state universities whose bookstores are currently
operated by Barnes &amp; Noble College Booksellers. <br>
For more information on Barnes &amp; Noble College Booksellers, see <a
---<br>
bubba jones wrote:<br>
 cite="midBAY15-F20VSdtdH2IWP00033672@hotmail.com">I heard today that
Barnes and Noble has just overthrown the current leadership at the WSU
bookstore.&nbsp; Can anyone verify?
I also heard that there was an undisclosed amount of money given to WSU
and a Board member by the name of Barry will not tell anyone how much
money exchanged hands.
BJ
Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up &#8211; now 3 months
FREE! <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/">http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/</a>
List services made available by First Step Internet, serving the
communities of the Palouse since 1994.&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.fsr.net">http://www.fsr.net</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com">mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com</a>
&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;
.

--------------060407070608020100050201--