[Vision2020] War, Oil and Bush, etc.

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Jul 31 23:23:48 PDT 2004

Paul-

The current US defense capability that we maintain continuously dwarfs that
of any other nation on earth, and is the most fearsome war machine ever created
by any nation in history.  We are continuously ready for global warfare and
are now "either a) warring, b) preparing for war,or c)getting warred upon." as
you put it.

Given the global empire of the US, the attacks against us are not always on
US soil.  But our interests economically, politically or militarily have been
under threat or attack continuously since W.W.II, thus our need to control many
nations on earth who might oppose our interests by devious or not so devious
means: impose puppet governments, overthrow democratically elected
governments, get other nations to conduct proxy wars (the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan who
we supported with even Bin Laden rumored to have received CIA support in
fighting the Soviets), support our favorite dictators who do our bidding, like our
previous military support for Saddam in Iraq against Iran, etc.

For someone who obviously thinks and studies these issues seriously, you
gloss over and oversimplify with ease.

Consider your reasoning here:

"But I don't consider Bush irrational.(!!!)
If you place the security of the United States as the paramount duty of
the government and work with such logic,
his actions are reasonable"

As the anonymous 20 year CIA veteran author of the upcoming book "Imperial
Hubris" is quoted as saying, "The invasion of Iraq was a Christmas gift to Bin
Laden."  Assuming this logic, how is Bush's foreign policy "rational" in terms
of the national security of the US?

Bush's approach to the War on Terror has been a recruitment boon for Al
Quada, and terror attacks world wide have increased.  I assert emphatically Bush's
foreign policy in terms of protecting the national security of the US is not
sensible or rational, but quite mad, and not exclusively driven by the goal of
success in the War on Terror, which is sometimes used as an ideological tool
to justify other agendas.

And your assessment that the invasion of Afghanistan "went off resonably
well" means exactly what?  Afghanistan is still ruled by war lords who are as
tyrannical and brutal as the Taliban, while our puppet leader Karzai only rules
Kabul during the day.  Opium production has surged to record levels since the US
invasion, jeopardizing overall economic development and fueling a criminal
underground of massive proportions.  The Islamic fundamentalists who have
support among the tribes along the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan still
operate militarily, and according to the best intelligence, continue to hide Bin
Laden, who was ostensibly one of the main goals in our invasion.  Bush offered
to not invade if the Taliban would give up Bin Laden.  It appears one of the
main targets of the invasion of Afghanistan still remains elusive.  How does
this current situation merit the description it "went off reasonably well?"

You also write:

"Can't say what exactly drives Bush with enviromental issues."

You must be joking.  Are you putting me on?  I hesitate to tackle this
statement because anyone with the slightest knowledge of the Bush administration
knows corporate oil and energy interests are in bed with Cheney and Bush, and
what drives the environmental approach of these corporate interests.

Do you think if Iraq had not a drop of oil that we would have invaded?

It is well known that a crisis point is coming when oil reserves and the
global demands upon them will become critical, and render the nations who control
major oil reserves the ability to dictate to the world who will or will not
get the oil, and thus power over the entire global economy.  And it will be very
difficult to replace the cheap energy from fossil fuels with any alternative
energy source.  Sure the Bush administration will offer token support to
hydrogen fuel research. It makes his administration look like they are supporting
technology friendly to the environment, is warm and fuzzy corporate welfare,
while they push for oil drilling in ANWR, and refuse to demand legislation to
increase the fuel efficiency of the current US fleet of oil powered vehicles.
If Bush wanted to stop our dependence on middle east oil right now his
administration would have pushed for major increases in fuel efficiency.  Why has this
not happened?

"This is probably to reduce dependance on Arab/Muslim oil" you write about
Bush support for hydrogen fuels.

Do you really believe Bush wants the US to not be dependent on middle east
oil?  The invasion of Iraq was in part to allow the US to control middle east
oil, not reduce our dependence.

And you must be aware of the financial ties between the Bush family and the
Saudi Royals, which is another reason for Bush to not seriously seek reducing
our dependence on Saudi oil.

Ted Moffett