[Vision2020] who does Kimmell work for?

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 30 10:48:23 PDT 2004

Well, at Ted's prodding, I'll jump in  ;-)

I absolutely agree with Bill London:  I don't think Paul Kimmell (or anyone
else) can successfully serve the conflicting best interests of the groups he's
chosen (or been chosen) to publicly represent.  Period.

I didn't understand how a county commissioner could also be the executive
director of the city's chamber of commerce, a confusion that deepened with the
revelation that the Chamber office is stacked with Kirkers.  Having been in on
several local hiring decisions, I don't buy that only Kirkers were the most
qualified for the jobs.

I was absolutely baffled by Commissioner Kimmell's failure to recuse himself
from voting on Christ Church/NSA matters.  At the very least, I'd have thought
he'd have done so to maintain an appearance of equity and fairness.  I think it
was bad judgment for him *not* to recuse himself, and that's not something I
want to see in an elected official, although Commissioner Kimmell certainly
*isn't* the only one guilty of exercising extremely poor judgment while in
office!  However, there's a saying that goes something like, "Fool me once,
shame on you; fool me twice, shame on *me*."  I'll certainly be remembering that
at the next election.

However, awhile back, someone (Wayne Fox, maybe?) posted some of the statutes
concerning Idaho public officials and conflicts, which was a real learning
experience for me.  I'll just say that the statutes I read confirmed that the
good ol' boy network continues to be alive and well in Idaho law.  Maybe we need
legislative reform there -- I don't know enough about the issues to have an
informed opinion.

So, I can't say as I'm surprised by the conclusion reached by the Nez Perce
Deputy Prosecutor.  Disappointed that such blatant shenanigans are apparently
condoned by Idaho law, to be sure, but not surprised.

However, I also have to add that while Commissioner Kimmell was apparently
cleared of conflict with regard to a couple of very specific instances
pertaining to the May 3, 2004 BOE hearing, I'm puzzled that the investigation
wasn't more thorough or didn't look at a couple of other major (at least in my
mind) potential conflicts.  I mean, since there was all the trouble of an
investigation, I don't understand why it wasn't more thorough so that the
results would be something one could really hang one's hat on.

All I know is what was reported in the papers, but I don't understand why *only*
the May 3, 2004 BOE hearing was investigated.  Christ Church and NSA were before
the BOE regarding property tax exemptions -- and received favorable rulings --
in April, 2003.  Does anyone know why the investigation didn't look at that
hearing as well?

Also, I didn't see any mention of the political emails sent by Christ Church via
the church's email list in September-November, 2002 for Paul Kimmell's Latah
County Commissioner campaign.  While consideration of potential conflict for
this year's BOE hearing might seem a bit remote, it was only a scant few months
before the April, 2003 BOE hearing in which Christ Church and NSA also received
favorable rulings.  In my mind, the proximity of the emails and the favorable
BOE rulings is so close as to absolutely *beg* scrutiny.  Does anyone know why
that wasn't investigated for potential conflict?

TIA,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.