[Vision2020] Property taxes

John Danahy jdanahy at turbonet.com
Tue Jul 20 13:38:19 PDT 2004

It is not just a matter of exemptions, but also a matter of proper
assessment.  There is also a question of law.  I do not believe the county
can, without a specific challenge, just investigate a particular exemption.
The county may not be required, in fact may be legally prevented, from
examining any particular piece of property without an official complaint.

For example, if you were to build a house in the county, the county would
come to you and ask for a chance to assess the house by examination. You can
refuse.  You can claim the house is a single family residence, even though
you have a rental apartment in the basement.  The county has no recourse but
to accept your claim, unless someone comes forward officially.

What is needed, especially since the state legislature is counting on
property taxes to cover the foolish tax cuts, is a change in law to allow
the county to inspect every property.  It is my personal belief that the NSA
and Anselm house are just two examples of a much larger problem.  No one
likes to pay property taxes.  The burden is only acceptable is everyone is
paying a fair share.

John