[Vision2020] Jane Siberry

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 17:48:56 PDT 2004

Auntie:

I don't have "Lost in Space" but I do have Mann's "I'm With Stupid" and the Magnolia sound-track which features music by Aimee Mann.  She had such a close relationship with the director she became more than just a background music source for the film, but entered into the creative process of how the film was made.

I will listen to "Lost In Space."  And do please listen to any one or all of the Siberry albums I mentioned.

I already like Aimee Mann.  However, for a variety of reasons, I find Jane Siberry's music to be expressive of a spirit I cherish more than what I perceive to be behind Aimee Mann's work.

But I really don't want to rate artists like this.  Unless it's something extreme, like saying Britney Spears is equal to Bob Dylan, in which case I become apoplectic.  It's the old apples and oranges thing.  Like when people say Beethoven is greater than Debussy, and denigrate Debussy's music as inferior.  They both have their expressive style that taken on its own terms is worthwhile, even if Beethoven's music is more complex and elaborate.

Ted