[Vision2020] Why the BOE meeting time

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Thu Jul 8 07:38:51 PDT 2004

Dan, et al,

The current law requires that a taxpayer be given notice by the BOE before a
FINAL decision to raise the assessment, but as the law is now written notice is
not required before.  A property owner thus has the right to review and object
to any tenative decision by the BOE.

This phrasing protects property owners from wasting their time on spurious
appeals.

W.

TITLE  63
                             REVENUE AND TAXATION
                                  CHAPTER 5
                         EQUALIZATION OF ASSESSMENTS
    63-506.  NOTICE TO TAXPAYER OF NEW ASSESSMENTS AND CHANGES. The board of
equalization must, before taking final action in equalizing the assessed value
of the property of any person refusing to appear and testify, or in increasing
the assessed value of any property, notify the owner thereof, or his agent or
representative, of its intention to do so, and require such person to appear
forthwith before the board and make objection, if he has any. The board may
direct the notice to be served personally upon the owner, or his agent or
representative; or, it may direct the clerk to serve the notice by mail,
addressed to such owner, or his agent or representative, at his last known
post office address. In the case of service by mail, the board of equalization
shall not take final action until five (5) days after the mailing of such
notice, unless the owner, or his agent, or representative, shall sooner
appear. If the owner is one other than the equitable titleholder, such as an
escrowee, trustee of trust deed or other third party, the owner shall, within
ten (10) days, deliver to the equitable titleholder a true copy of the notice
from the board of equalization.