[Vision2020] Tax Code we probably can't understand

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 12:55:05 PDT 2004

Hmm.  This statute doesn't seem to be written in Latin or Greek or Tocharian B.  It seems to be written in English, which just happens to be my native language.  Now, admittedly, I did not learn English from a lawyer, but I somehow feel that I really, truly understand what this statute is saying.  Taxpayers (that's you and me) may file an appeal of an assessment (that's a particular tax valuation on a particular property) with the Board of Equalization within a specific set of defined parameters, i.e., there are date constraints and certain forms to fill out.  Call me naive, but I don't think you need to be Alan Dershowitz to comprehend that.

I'm bearing in mind, of course, that we're not talking about interpretation here.  That does require a lawyer, or, in some cases, many lawyers and perhaps a judicial proceeding or two.  Sometimes, a law is so unclear that its meaning must be contested all the way to the Supreme Court, where legal geniuses like Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia work their voodoo on the official interpretation.  (The next time you're home alone late at night and you hear a strange thumping sound down in the basement, just keep repeating to yourself, "That's not Antonin Scalia coming to destroy my civil rights.  It's only a crazed lunatic with a hatchet."  There now, doesn't that feel better?)

About yesterday's Board of Equalization meeting -- I think it's a shame that anyone would take time out of his or her busy day to attend the hearing only to be insulted by the county attorney.  The "I could read it but you wouldn't understand it" remark was out of line, and so an apology from Mr. Whitney would be in order.  I agree with Mark Solomon that Rose and Saundra might do well to consult an attorney of their own, but with or without legal counsel, the issues they bring forward as citizens and taxpayers should be treated with the utmost seriousness and respect.  While I am confident that the members of the BOE will do just that, yesterday's proceedings make me worry about the tenor of their legal advice.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment