[Vision2020] UI Task Force Members Paid!!?

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Tue Jul 6 17:34:25 PDT 2004

All,

When I first heard that Gary Michaels, a moderately successful executive, had
been appointed interim UI president, I was encouraged.

I was wrong.  I should have looked closer.

Michaels made a number of knee-jerk decisions without regard to re-defining the
goals and mission of the UI in light of changed economic conditions.
Goals/Mission should precede budgets.  I hope the Committee now has discovered
this and we will all be pleasantly surprised.  Whatever happens will be painful;
however, if the process is not driven by clear measurable goals and standards it
will be pain without purpose.

Why is the University relying in this process on two people who really helped
Hoover to put us in this mess -- the Provost and the Budget Director?  I was
very disappointed that Michaels did not make a number of personnel changes to
promote looking at the UI situation afresh and without old
decisions/actions/personalities to defend.

Abolishing the UI Press instead of abolishing the person(s) responsible for its
situation was one of many bad decisions.  Properly managed, the UI Press could
have been both prestigious and profitable (with and entrepreneurial manager in
charge, in my opinion).  And all that mess with the Studio Arts, apparently part
of a thinly disguised vindictive plot against a ceramics artist.

As a two-time graduate, taxpayer, and donor, I sincerely hope that all will work
out for the best for the UI.  Perhaps Ron Force could keep us updated on the
various proposals as they come up for discussion.

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco at moscow.com