[Vision2020] On this day in 1964 . . .

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Fri Jul 2 12:00:10 PDT 2004

Dear Joan and Visionaries,

Firecrackers, for sure!

Forty years ago TONIGHT, the 1964 Civil Rights Act, signed by President Johnson, was the official death knell for segregation of races in public accommodation all across America... Asian Americans, African Americans, Native Americans, Latinos... all people could partake of public accommodation on an equal basis.

And there was one more really terrific part of this bill: In an effort to sink the Act, an amendment was introduced to apply Title VII of the Act concerning equal access to employment to women, thinking that it would not pass. Well, surprise, boys, it did! This legislation has been a landmark for progress in equal employment opportunity over those 40 years.

Are we home free? Assuredly not. BUT we've come a long way.

Happy Second and Fourth of July!

All the best,
Linda Pall