[Vision2020] Fahrenheit 9/11

Andreas Schou scho8053 at uidaho.edu
Thu Jul 1 09:20:34 PDT 2004

> Visionaries:
>
> If I might inject some diversity into this F911 love-fest.....Here are couple of alternative takes:
>
> Christopher Hitchens:         http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/

There are two people writing under the name "Christopher Hitchens."

The first Christopher Hitchens wrote "Letters to a Young Contrarian." He took on Mother Teresa, for god's sake, and made me agree with her. He makes unpopular positions seem reasonable, and is a joy to read. I reccomend this Christopher Hitchens to anyone who likes good political writing.

The other Christopher Hitchens is a bloviating drunkard who refuses to shut up when he's wrong. He writes rickety, 3,000 word frameworks from which he can hang the words "lugubrious" and "demagogic." This Christopher Hitchens sitll believes there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, stil thinks the war was a good idea, and will be voting for Bush in the fall.  I can only assume that this Christopher Hitchens has, pod-person-like, replaced the first Christopher Hitchens since before the beginning of the second Gulf war.

This piece is the editorial equivalent of slapping your hands over your ears and screaming "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU." The man absolutely refuses to admit that anything has gone wrong -- in a world where even liberal rags like the Weekly Standard and the National Review are starting to have questions about the whether it was a good idea to invade an ethnically divided country three quarters of the way around the world with half the troops we need.

I want the old Chris Hitchens back.

-- ACS