[Vision2020] Steve Wilkins on Racism

Dan Carscallen predator75@moscow.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:16:59 -0800

Well said, Eric.  Tolerance works both ways.

DC

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]
On Behalf Of Eric Engerbretson
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 10:27 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Steve Wilkins on Racism

On Jan 29, 2004, at 8:16 PM, Steve Wells wrote:

> But what about Steve Wilkins? Does he still agree with Doug Wilson on
> that? If so, then I won't be
> attending his talk. I don't want to support those views.

I am completely baffled by this line of "reasoning". The only way that
attending a talk would support Wilkins' views
would be if you bought a ticket, and the ticket sales were going to
Wilkins or his organization. Or if you attended the talk wearing a
"Wilkins Power!" T-shirt.

You don't sign a card or put on a pin showing whose side you're
supporting when you walk in the door to hear a speaker.  By going to a
talk like this you (and the community) have everything to gain and
absolutely nothing to lose.  I believe that this "I'm not going---
neener, neener" attitude is part of the problem in this community!  It
simply breeds ignorance and inhibits understanding and progress in
unity.

If you attend Steve Wilkins' talk, after it is over, you will be
wiser-- period.  You will either be completely reinforced that the man
is an idiot, and have all sorts of new ammo to use in a conversation
against him, or you will realize that perhaps the subject is more
complex than you understood, and you will gain some new insights. The
point is: if you go, you will simply be a more educated person. If you
don't go, you actually lose something-- because the next time you are
having a discussion with someone about the man or his views someone
will ask you "did you go to his meeting?" and you will have to say
"no"-- instantly admitting that you are not as educated on the subject
as someone who went to the meeting. AND you risk coming off as a
stubborn, bigoted person who refuses to hear all sides on a subject and
just wants to remain in his position regardless of any facts or new
developments.

If you go to a meeting like this and hate the guy more than ever--
well, you will have a better understanding of why you hate him. And
when someone asks you "did you go to the meeting" you can say "yes, and
it confirmed all my suspicions."  But to actively decide not to
communicate, not to hear arguments and to close one's mind, is to do
the very thing that people accuse people like Wilkins of doing!!  And
then to try to continue opinionated conversation on the topic after
brazenly boycotting a major educational seminar on said topic is
ridiculous.

If you go to a talk you make your stance more viable. If you don't go,
you make your stance less viable.

Childishness will make a further mess of our community. Humble
attitudes and willingness to listen and discuss will make things better
for us all.

Eric E.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com