[Vision2020] Public Defenders Office

bubba jones bubbajones9763@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:18:29 +0000

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will, but I don't think it's the job
of the public defender to help set guilty people free.  Isn't it rather his
job to make sure the state has a case, can prove its case and has not
violated any of the defendant's rights?  What people don't seem to remember
is that the person accused of the crime knows whether he/she did it or not.
If the accused actually did the crime Isn't it in his best interest to try
and get a lesser sentence by making a deal with the prosecutor?

It doesn't seem right to judge the PD based upon how many cases he brings to
trial.  He may do better by his client by not going to trial.

IMHO B. Jones