[Vision2020] Public Defenders Office

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:52:04 EST

-------------------------------1075431124

Dear Ms. Penix:
Thank you for a fair and accurate report on my concerns about the PD
contract.  I would like to clarify a few points.  In my surprise at your interest in
the subject I was not as articulate as I might have been.  I was aware that
contract attorneys file a monthly report on their case loads.  In fact, it is my
understanding that they must do so prior to receiving their monthly check.
Charles Kovis lists his clients by case number only while Greg Dickison lists by
both case number and name.  Both attorneys list the number of hours spent on
individual client cases.  There is no particular reason not to include the
name with the case number.  The name of the client is a matter of public record
and a public defender is appointed in open court.

The questions that I intend to continue ask deal with the kind of service tax
payers are funding.  What are the outcomes of the cases?  What amount of time
is spent per case?  How many of these cases go to trial (which is a
considerable investment in time for both the P.D. and the P.A.) vs. the number of cases
that are pled out.  And, if cases are pled out, what advantage/disadvantage
does that represent to the client?  What percentage of time is spent as a
public defender vs. the amount of time spent as private practice attorney?  The
American Bar Association has provided guidelines to address these questions.
Unfortunately, in Latah County, we are unable to conveniently do so.

I have a deep appreciation and respect for the office of Prosecuting Attorney
and for those folks in that office who work diligently and honorably to
represent the citizens of Latah County. Nonetheless, I believe that if I were
seeking an evaluation on the effectiveness of any Public Defender I would hesitate
to rely heavily on an endorsement (or critique for that matter) from the
Prosecutor.  I am not alone in that point of view.  Some suggest it is a case of
the fox watching the chickens.

I am thankful for the willingness of the Latah County Commissioners to
provide time on their agenda for me to raise this issue.  I will be following up in
the next several weeks with specific information and data that will, I hope,
offer definitive reasons for adopting a new reporting methodology.

Sincerely,
Rosemary Huskey

-------------------------------1075431124

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2734.1600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Dear Ms. Penix:</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you for a fair and accurate report on my concerns about the PD co=
ntract.&nbsp; I would like to clarify a few points.&nbsp; In my surprise at=20=
your interest in the subject I was not as articulate as I might have been.&n=
bsp; I was aware that contract attorneys file a monthly report on their case=
 loads.&nbsp; In fact, it is my understanding that they must do so prior to=20=
receiving their monthly check.&nbsp; Charles Kovis lists his clients by case=
 number only while Greg Dickison lists by both case number and name.&nbsp; B=
oth attorneys list the number of hours spent on individual client cases.&nbs=
p; There is no particular reason not to include the name with the case numbe=
r.&nbsp; The name of the client is a matter of public record and a public de=
fender is appointed in open court.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The questions that I intend to continue&nbsp;ask deal with&nbsp;the&nbs=
p;kind of service&nbsp;tax payers are funding.&nbsp; What are the outcomes o=
f the cases?&nbsp; What amount of time is spent per case?&nbsp; How many of=20=
these cases go to trial (which is a considerable investment in time for both=
 the P.D. and the P.A.) vs. the number of cases that are pled out.&nbsp;&nbs=
p;And, if cases are pled out, what advantage/disadvantage does that represen=
t to the client?&nbsp;&nbsp;What percentage of time is spent as a public def=
ender vs. the amount of time spent as private practice attorney?&nbsp; The A=
merican Bar Association has provided guidelines to address these questions.&=
nbsp; Unfortunately, in Latah County, we are unable to conveniently do so.</=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have a deep appreciation and respect&nbsp;for the office of Prosecuti=
ng Attorney and for those folks in that office who&nbsp;work diligently and=20=
honorably to represent the citizens of Latah County. Nonetheless, I&nbsp;bel=
ieve that if I were seeking an evaluation on&nbsp;the effectiveness of any&n=
bsp;Public Defender I would hesitate to rely&nbsp;heavily on an endorsement=20=
(or critique for that matter) from the Prosecutor.&nbsp; I am not alone in t=
hat point of view.&nbsp; Some suggest it is a case of the fox watching the c=
hickens.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am thankful for the willingness of the Latah County Commissioners to=20=
provide time on their agenda for me to raise this issue.&nbsp; I will be fol=
lowing up in the next several weeks with specific information and data that=20=
will, I hope, offer&nbsp;definitive reasons for adopting a new reporting met=
hodology.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>
<DIV>Rosemary Huskey</DIV></BODY></HTML>