[Vision2020] Re: What if

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:17:36 -0800

Who's afraid of Uranus, Carl?  Not me, not me, not me!

But enough of Beavis and Butt-head.  In all seriousness, I'd like to echo
Mike Curley and say that there is no one in the greater Moscow area that I
would hesitate to pull out of a snowy ditch, not even Doug Jones.  That's
just simple neighborliness, and it's something I think most of us, no matter
what our religious or political persuasion, value.

After 9-11, when Jerry Falwell went on Pat Robertson's show and blamed gay
people, feminists, and the pro-choice movement for the attacks, there was
outrage across the political spectrum.  Falwell's use of a national tragedy
to further his own hateful agenda was unforgivable.  It's always okay to
question, and it's always okay to suggest alternatives, but even our deepest
divisions ought to be temporarily masked when any of our lives are
endangered.

So, Carl, don't fret for the future of Moscow.  We're at a crossroads now.
We have choices to make about the direction in which we want this community
to go.  There have been crossroads in the past, intense disagreements,
competing visions, and we've dealt with them.  The community is still here,
and we're still pulling one another out of ditches.  It's true that I don't
want to live in the Moscow that Doug Wilson and his followers envision, but,
for my part, I don't envision a Moscow without them.

You know, there was a town in which everyone was always in perfect
agreement.  I think it was called Stepford.

Yours truly,
Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!