[Vision2020] Boycott Redux . . . or Pot Calling Kettle

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846@hotmail.com
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:25:32 -0800

As one who has taken his fellow liberals to task for boycotting CC
affiliated businesses, I find Saundra's revelations troubling.  I was
unaware of these stories.  I have fond memories of the Card Farm, and
purchased more than a few cards that Mr. Wilson no doubt would have found
objectionable.  What may be a disgusting card to him may well be a great
source of amusement to me.  To think that there would be an attempt on his
part to prevent my access to such material is most uncool.  And as for
Playboy, a magazine I've read a few times, (really, I just read them,
honest), to read of organized boycotts against stores that sell them is
quite bothersome.  I still do not support organized boycotts of businesses
associated with Christ Church.  As a matter of fact, I've been known to have
a cup of coffee or a brew in Bucer's myself.  I do have to concur with
Saundra's conclusion of "double standard".  I was Christmas shopping at a
bookstore in the Palouse Mall last month, and saw that Playboy and other
such magazines were for sale.  They were completely covered, save for the
titles, and were located well beyond the reach of children.  These magazines
are also perfectly legal, as is the selling and purchasing of them.  Would
such a store be a potential target for a boycott?  I hope not.

                                Carl Westberg Jr.