[Vision2020] Morecraft letter

bill london london@moscow.com
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:26:46 -0800

--------------020500090304010008030507

The Daily News on Friday (1/23) published a letter to the editor from
Joe Morecraft III of Atlanta (reprinted below).  The letter did not
fully explain the context for his comments, so here is some background:

In my editorial printed in the Daily News on 12/31/03, I included
information about the charges of heresy brought by Morecraft's church
denomination (the Reformed Presbyterian Church in the US) against Doug
Wilson, Steve Wilkins, and two other ministers.  As I explained in the
editorial, a resolution posted on their website (rpcus.com/aapc.htm),
dated June 22, 2002, removes them from that church, unless they repent.
The reasons for the heresy charge (as listed there on the website) are
dozens of counts of theological errors, none of which have anything to
do with the Confederate flag or the Neo-Confederate political movement.

On January 8, Wilson responded with an editorial of his own.  Wilson
claimed that I had it all wrong.  Wilson wrote that Morecraft's
denomination is a "hotbed of Neo-Confederate thinking" angry with an
article against displaying the Confederate flag published in Wilson's
magazine, Credenda/Agenda.

Somebody (not me, since I have never met, spoken with, or written to
Morecraft) sent Wilson's editorial to Morecraft.

Morecraft wrote this letter to set the record straight.  The heresy
charge against Wilson and Wilkins and the two other ministers has
nothing to do with the article about the Confederate flag.  None of
those four men charged as heretics wrote that article (Christ Church
elder Doug Jones was the author).

For anyone who wants to read the article Doug Jones wrote in
Credenda/Agenda, the web address is:
http://www.credenda.org/issues/12-1anvil.php.  That article is a very
short diatribe against, in Morecraft's words, "self-righteous displays
of the Confederate flag."

BL
-------

> To whom it may concern in Moscow, Idaho
>

> No connection exists between the stand of the Reformed Presbyterian
> Church in the United States against some of Doug Wilson's heretical
> positions and his Credenda/Agenda article on the confederate battle
> flag, except in Doug's mind.  Relating the two as he has done recently
> in print is either a figment of his imagination or wishful thinking on
> his part.  I too am against all self-righteous displays of the
> confederate flag.  Furthermore, when I visited the offices of Doug's
> school in Moscow several years ago, the battle flag and pictures of
> Confederate soldiers were prominently displayed.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Joe Morecraft III
>
> Minister, RPCUS

--------------020500090304010008030507

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
The Daily News on Friday (1/23) published a letter to the editor from
Joe Morecraft III of Atlanta (reprinted below).&nbsp; The letter did not
fully explain the context for his comments, so here is some background:<br>
In my editorial printed in the Daily News on 12/31/03, I included
information about the charges of heresy brought by Morecraft's church
denomination (the Reformed Presbyterian Church in the US) against Doug
Wilson, Steve Wilkins, and two other ministers.&nbsp; As I explained in the
editorial, a resolution posted on their website (rpcus.com/aapc.htm),
dated June 22, 2002, removes them from that church, unless they
repent.&nbsp; The reasons for the heresy charge (as listed there on the
website) are dozens of counts of theological errors, none of which have
anything to do with the Confederate flag or the Neo-Confederate
political movement.<br>
On January 8, Wilson responded with an editorial of his own.&nbsp; Wilson
claimed that I had it all wrong.&nbsp; Wilson wrote that Morecraft's
denomination is a "hotbed of Neo-Confederate thinking" angry with an
article against displaying the Confederate flag published in Wilson's
magazine, Credenda/Agenda.&nbsp; <br>
Somebody (not me, since I have never met, spoken with, or written to
Morecraft) sent Wilson's editorial to Morecraft.&nbsp; <br>
Morecraft wrote this letter to set the record straight.&nbsp; The heresy
charge against Wilson and Wilkins and the two other ministers has
nothing to do with the article about the Confederate flag.&nbsp; None of
those four men charged as heretics wrote that article (Christ Church
elder Doug Jones was the author).<br>
For anyone who wants to read the article Doug Jones wrote in
Credenda/Agenda, the web address is: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
 href="http://www.credenda.org/issues/12-1anvil.php">http://www.credenda.org/issues/12-1anvil.php</a>.&nbsp;
That article is a very short diatribe against, in Morecraft's words,
"self-righteous displays of the Confederate flag."<br>
BL<br>
------- <br>
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;">To whom it
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;">Moscow</span></font><font
 face="Arial" color="navy" size="2"><span
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;">, </span></font><font
 face="Arial" color="navy" size="2"><span
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;">No
connection exists between the stand of the Reformed Presbyterian Church
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;">United States</span></font><font
 face="Arial" color="navy" size="2"><span
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;"> against
some of Doug Wilson&#8217;s heretical positions and his <i><span
 style="font-style: italic;">Credenda/Agenda</span></i> article on the
confederate battle flag, except in Doug&#8217;s mind.&nbsp; Relating the two as he
has done recently in print is either a figment of his imagination or
wishful thinking on his part.&nbsp; I too am against all self-righteous
displays of the confederate flag.&nbsp; Furthermore, when I visited the
offices of Doug&#8217;s school in </span></font><font face="Arial"
 color="navy" size="2"><span
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;">Moscow</span></font><font
 face="Arial" color="navy" size="2"><span
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;"> several
years ago, the battle flag and pictures of Confederate soldiers were
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;">Joe
 style="font-size: 10pt; color: navy; font-family: Arial;">Minister,

--------------020500090304010008030507--