[Vision2020] A Herd of Ednas

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:21:02 -0800

>Note the difference if you haven't already:
>
>edwilming@yahoo.com
>
>vs.
>
>ednawilmgtn@yahoo.com

Oh, dear.  First we had Edna pretending to be Edna, and now we have Edna
pretending to be Edna pretending to be Edna.  By my count, that's one Faux
Edna and one Faux Edna Manque.

I don't know about you, but what with this multiplicity of Ednas, plus the
arrival of Nancy Drew, Jane Marple, and Joe Hardy, not to mention Scott's
appearance as Ace Ventura, I feel as if I'm guesting on a rerun of The Love
Boat.  Perhaps we should ask Isaac the bartender to drop some lithium into
the Chex mix.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS: On every list to which I've ever subscribed, whether I actively
participated or merely lurked, discussions about splitting said list arose
like clockwork.  This debate is a standard feature of Internet chat, and
prompted, I think, because the web is far more open than your local coffee
klatch.  The Internet forces us to communicate with many who are outside of
our sphere, people we might bump into in Tidyman's but with whom we have
little in common.

To give you an example, once upon a time, Doug Wilson sat at the table next
to me in Applebees.  (I recognized him from his newspaper photos.)  I did
not march up and introduce myself, and I also refrained from making
inquiries into the size of his ego.  Of course, I was tempted to ask if it
was tucked safely into his chinos, or if its expansion required a jersey
knit track suit, but I restrained myself.  Why?  Well, perhaps it was
because I wanted to keep my blooming onion all to myself, but really I think
it was because he was there with his friends, and I was there with mine.
While it might be interesting to invite Marilyn Manson and the Amish to the
same party, it would tax my social skills to host it.

Hence, I love this list.  As it is.  This is the sort of party where you can
always safely duck out into the kitchen.  Maybe someone, somewhere, should
create a Moscow announcements only list.  I wouldn't give a bugger about it,
but if that would float the boat for some of you, I say, "Yeee-haaa," and
what's more, I say it *exactly* like Howard Dean.