[Vision2020] Diversity 1,2,3

Edna Wilmington edwilming@yahoo.com
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:45:29 -0800 (PST)

Dear Melynda,

Please accept my apology for failing to reply to your
questions back in November.  I left the country early
that month and have only recently returned to the U.S.
 Now I've been slogging through hundreds of email
messages that accumulated during my absence and would
like to answer your questions, even though it means
resurrecting an old thread.

I can understand your puzzlement, as my hasty posting
didn't make clear that I had in mind not only
affirmative action (which, in practice, amounts to a
quota system used to fulfill diversity profiles), but
also extension of the principles and practices of
affirmative action into the private sector via
executive orders pertaining to companies holding or
seeking federal contracts (hence, my employment of the
phrase "commercially sanctioned").  By the way, since
you referred to it, I have no substantial objections
to the 1964 Civil Rights Act (or the principles behind
it), and it is my antipathy toward racism and sexism
that drives my disapproval of affirmative action.

The fact that affirmative action exists as a supposed
remedy for unjust discrimination (racist and
otherwise) was the background for my quip about
"kings."  Perhaps it was a poor choice of words, since
some would rather live under a just monarch than the
demos infected with such bad ideas. Nevertheless, my
point was simple: We ought not attempt to rectify
injustice or prejudice by impatient, shortsighted and
unjust means, but if we're in charge, we can do
whatever we please, whether our actions happen to be
just, prudent, and visionary, or none of the above.

Thanks for your questions,

Edna Wilmington