[Vision2020] UI Presidency candidate

bill london london@moscow.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:07:59 -0800

--------------070505090403060204090004

This message, sent from Tom Trail to V2020, focuses on one of the two
candidates for UI President, Steve Jones.  FYI.
BL

Tom Trail wrote:

> [...]
>with Vision2020.
>
>Rep. Tom Trail

> Subject:
> Steve Jones
> From:
> John Richardson <john_richardson@ncsu.edu>
> Date:
> Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:35:10 -0500
> To:
> Tom Trail <ttrail@house.state.id.us>
>

> Hello Tom,
>
> I am sure you saw the message that I forwarded to you yesterday from
> George Young at Auburn.  In reality, that pretty well telescopes what
> other comments I have gleaned and my personal observation of Steve
> Jones.  The thing hit the Raleigh paper yesterday, and I saw that
> Steve is knocking down $180,000 annually, so he is one of the high
> fliers around here.
>
> Tom, Steve is seen as a friendly, affable person who relates to folks
> at all levels, whether in groups or individually.  He has demonstrated
> a keen sense and energy for building partnerships here on campus, in
> state government and with industry.  This coalition and partnership
> building is a hallmark of his successes here so far.  He came into a
> role that was expected to roll all extension efforts under one main
> office.  So, since Cooperative Extension is the 800 pound gorilla and
> in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, there has been some
> ticklish moments in weaving all of the entities together in a more
> unified fashion from the whole university.  Steve has taken a very
> measured and conciliatory approach that has not left lasting harm or
> ruffled feathers as he has forged a very workable relationship with
> CES as well as the other entities.  So, his ability to collaborate and
> be flexible has proven to serve him well.
>
> Steve is known for looking for funding sources via grants, gifts, and
> other shared funding with industry and other institutions.  He has
> established this reputation everywhere he has worked.  Also, in this
> regard, he has sufficient vision and broad thinking abilities to make
> things happen without upsetting the apple cart in the process.
>
> Tom, from my personal perspective as well as that from others, this is
> the way we see Steve Jones.  To be honest, I think you would do well
> to consider him very seriously.
>
> You take care my friend, and if I can be of further assistance, please
> let me know.
>
> John
>
> Tom Trail wrote:
>
>> John--I have a big favor to ask you.  We are currently in the final
>> stages of a search for a President for the University of Idaho.  We
>> are
>> down to two finalists.  One of the finalists is Steven Jones, Vice
>> Chancellor for Extension and Engagement at North Carolina State
>> University in Raleigh.
>> Can you and any of your colleagues give me the straight scoop on this
>> gentlemen--the good, the bad, and the ugly as Clint Eastwood put it.

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
This message, sent from Tom Trail to V2020, focuses on one of the two
candidates for UI President, Steve Jones.&nbsp; FYI.<br>
BL<br>
Tom Trail wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">Bill--A good friend of mine, Dr. John Richardson, works for Extension
at the North Carolina State University.   He knows one of the
candidates,
Steve Jones, who is a candidate for the University of Idaho
Presidency.
I asked John for his evaluation of Dr. Jones.  I thought it worth
sharing
with Vision2020.

Rep. Tom Trail</pre>
  <hr width="90%" size="4"><br>
 class="header-part1">
    <tbody>
Steve Jones</td>
John Richardson <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:john_richardson@ncsu.edu">&lt;john_richardson@ncsu.edu&gt;</a></td>
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:35:10 -0500</td>
Tom Trail <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:ttrail@house.state.id.us">&lt;ttrail@house.state.id.us&gt;</a></td>
    </tbody>
Hello Tom,
I am sure you saw the message that I forwarded to you yesterday from
George Young at Auburn.&nbsp; In reality, that pretty well telescopes what
other comments I have gleaned and my personal observation of Steve
Jones.&nbsp; The thing hit the Raleigh paper yesterday, and I saw that Steve
is knocking down $180,000 annually, so he is one of the high fliers
around here.
Tom, Steve is seen as a friendly, affable person who relates to folks
at all levels, whether in groups or individually.&nbsp; He has demonstrated
a keen sense and energy for building partnerships here on campus, in
state government and with industry.&nbsp; This coalition and partnership
building is a hallmark of his successes here so far.&nbsp; He came into a
role that was expected to roll all extension efforts under one main
office.&nbsp; So, since Cooperative Extension is the 800 pound gorilla and
in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, there has been some
ticklish moments in weaving all of the entities together in a more
unified fashion from the whole university.&nbsp; Steve has taken a very
measured and conciliatory approach that has not left lasting harm or
ruffled feathers as he has forged a very workable relationship with CES
as well as the other entities.&nbsp; So, his ability to collaborate and be
flexible has proven to serve him well.
Steve is known for looking for funding sources via grants, gifts, and
other shared funding with industry and other institutions.&nbsp; He has
established this reputation everywhere he has worked.&nbsp; Also, in this
regard, he has sufficient vision and broad thinking abilities to make
things happen without upsetting the apple cart in the process.
Tom, from my personal perspective as well as that from others, this is
the way we see Steve Jones.&nbsp; To be honest, I think you would do well to
consider him very seriously.
You take care my friend, and if I can be of further assistance, please
let me know.
John
Tom Trail wrote:
currently in the final
stages of a search for a President for the University of Idaho.&nbsp; We
are
down to two finalists.&nbsp; One of the finalists is Steven Jones, Vice
Chancellor for Extension and Engagement at North Carolina State
University in Raleigh.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
Can you and any of your colleagues give me the straight scoop on this
gentlemen--the good, the bad, and the ugly as Clint Eastwood put it.
Thanks.
Tom
&nbsp;

--------------070505090403060204090004--