[Vision2020] A Liberal World

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@msn.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:26:12 -0800

Dear Mike,

I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't possibly let this go.

Christian and liberal are not contradictory terms.  Some of us are liberals
precisely *because* we are Christians.

What kind of town would I want?  Me, the Christian liberal?

One in which citizens treated each other civilly and respectfully.  One in
which the most vulnerable people--children, for example--were safe from
oppression, abuse, and harm.  One in which our local governing bodies
reflected our population, and were scrupulous about protecting the rights of
the minority.  One in which we cared for our physical environment and were
careful stewards of limited resources such as water and clean air.  One in
which local businesses (like my kids' favorite place on Planet Earth,
Hodgins) weren't endangered by enormous chains which gain a competitive
advantage by exploiting producers and workers.  A town in which lesbian and
gay families were treated just like their heterosexual counterparts, and had
the same civil rights.  One in which neither personal nor institutional
racism prevailed.  One in which a rich diversity of faith communities
flourished.  One in which our extraordinary public library was appreciated,
and funded, as it deserves.  A town in which people with disabilities could
enter every business and every public building without barriers, could vote
freely, and could be employed.  A town without meth labs or
Neo-Nazi/Confederate/Christian Identity organizations.  A town in which the
University of Idaho was a respected and trusted institution.

I could go on, but I bet you've got the idea.

Melynda Huskey