[Vision2020] Additions to Two Articles

Nicholas Gier ngier@uidaho.edu
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:30:49 -0800

Dear Visionaries:

Steve Wells asked me to document Wilson's positions on capitalism and women's suffrage and I have now done that at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/patrislav.htm.

Also Ben Merkle has asked me to document my most recent remarks about Dickisonian theocracy. Steve Wells had already diligently posted this monstrous stuff, but I went back to check Credenda Agenda.  Here is how that one paragraph now reads.

Another parallel between Christian and Islamic fundamentalism is a theocratic form of government in which religious laws become the laws of the land. In his regular column in Wilson’s “Credenda Agenda” (vol. 3: nos. 9, 11), Greg Dickison, member of Wilson’s Christ Church and a Moscow public defender, states that "if we could have it our way,” then there would be capital punishment for “kidnapping, sorcery, bestiality, adultery, homosexuality, and cursing one's parents.”  Dickison also quotes biblical passages (without qualification) that call for death for apostasy (Deut. 13.6-9), and cutting off a woman’s hand for touching her husband’s genitals (Deut. 25.11,12). Behold, the Moscow Taliban!

The entire piece "Chilling Parallels: Christian and Islamic Fundamentalists" can be found at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/parallels.htm

Thanks Ben!  This gave me a chance to add the death penalty for apostasy.  That and dismemberment of criminals are two horrors that repluse us about Islamic fundamentalist jurisprudence.

Nick