[Vision2020] Good Old Climate

hayman@moscow.com hayman@moscow.com
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:53:26 GMT

Dear Nate and all,

I will ignore the sarcasm of your salutation to this post. I will also honor
your implied request for not condemning vandalism, though I must say
that the idea of the people you mention performing such acts of vandalism
is as ludicrous as it is almost funny.

We live in a by and large college town (it is also the county seat). Winter
break has been occurring for a few weeks. Young people have stayed;
others have been returning on a daily basis. No classes, etc. There are
several bars (even Zume proffers strong drink) within a four or so block
radius. Put it together.

I would wager (purposely chosen word) that at least a 50% chance exists
that said Vandals knew not the difference between your spires and the
golden arches of a local franchise.

You may remember, a few years ago, that the trees planted along Main
Street (same block, even!) were vandalized to the point of death
themselves. I don't remember anyone insinuating that it was the result of
anti-Moscow terrorists, or even the local logger's union.

You asked not to condemn vandalism, so I won't. I will say that were my
own lights vandalized, I would consider the four-year-old terror who lives
down the street before blaming St Andrews lecturers.

Warren Hayman

> Dear People with Perfect Vision,
>  Farewell. I have been lingering on this list for only one reason. So
> that, at the end of the Christmas season, I might give you a final tally
> of vandalism at New St. Andrews College. In my capacity as freshman
> Rhetoric instructor (a position for which Dr. Gier finds me wildly
> inadequate) I volunteered to become the official Christmas light fellow
> (a position for which even Dr. Gier must admit I have superb academic
> qualifications). The first instance of vandalism occured only two and a
> half hours after the first lights had been hung, and before completion.
> Approximately three weeks later the lights have been vandalized more
> than ten times with between seventy and eighty strands of lights
> damaged, destroyed, or stolen (a graph Mr. Courtney, please).
Throughout
> the season damaged strands were repaired, or replaced only to be
once
> again vandalized.
>     Now before everyone piles on in unanimous condemnation of such
> actions, I would like to come to the defense of the vandals. Apparently,
> they have the courage of their convictions. Some people have enough
guts
> to type a snippy missive to this forum. Others have the courage to pay
> two dollars to add their names to a list of people who don't like us.
> But the particular war party that cracked their knuckles and got to work
> on the NSA Christmas lights last night had enough courage of their
> convictions to actually risk a felony vandal charge. Of course some
> people, who are always able to grasp the main point at hand, will now
> object to my usage of the insensitive phrase 'war party' but back to the
> issue at hand. I admire people who, when they say 'Not in Our Town',
> really mean it. People who want to do what they can to make us
miserable
> here. People who are actually willing to admit that they think it
> illiberal for anyone to let us have Christmas lights.
>     Of course the fracas of the last few months has had more than a few
> ironies. Tolerance and diversity gurus have successfully created a
> climate in which UI students feel free to vandalize the property of
> Christians. In fact I'm curious if there have actually been any
> businesses downtown, beyond "Christ Church Affiliates" that have been
> vandalized in the last few months. In normal circumstances I would
> suspect such acts of kindness to be more truly random. But lately,
> vandals have seemed more discriminating in their tastes: multi racial
> businesses and a Christian college. At this point I would like to invite
> Mr. Fox to insinuate that I tore down our own Christmas lights in an
> attempt to grab some attention. After all, I have Jewish blood, and we
> do that sort of thing. I would like to invite Andreas to wink, wink,
> nudge, nudge, insuate something about anti-semitism and Christ
Church.

           http://www.fsr.net/