[Vision2020] Good Old Climate

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846@hotmail.com
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:46:32 -0800

I sincerely hope the people responsible for the vandalism are apprehended
and punished accordingly.   However, unless you have proof (and maybe you
do) regarding who the perpetrators are, I think assigning blame to
University of Idaho students is, in itself, unfair and judgmental.

                          Carl Westberg Jr.

>From: Nate Wilson <natewilson@moscow.com>
>To: vision2020@moscow.com
>Subject: [Vision2020] Good Old Climate
>Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:05:36 -0800
>
>Dear People with Perfect Vision,
>Farewell. I have been lingering on this list for only one reason. So that,
>at the end of the Christmas season, I might give you a final tally of
>vandalism at New St. Andrews College. In my capacity as freshman Rhetoric
>instructor (a position for which Dr. Gier finds me wildly inadequate) I
>volunteered to become the official Christmas light fellow (a position for
>which even Dr. Gier must admit I have superb academic qualifications). The
>first instance of vandalism occured only two and a half hours after the
>first lights had been hung, and before completion. Approximately three
>weeks later the lights have been vandalized more than ten times with
>between seventy and eighty strands of lights damaged, destroyed, or stolen
>(a graph Mr. Courtney, please). Throughout the season damaged strands were
>repaired, or replaced only to be once again vandalized.
>    Now before everyone piles on in unanimous condemnation of such actions,
>I would like to come to the defense of the vandals. Apparently, they have
>the courage of their convictions. Some people have enough guts to type a
>snippy missive to this forum. Others have the courage to pay two dollars to
>add their names to a list of people who don't like us. But the particular
>war party that cracked their knuckles and got to work on the NSA Christmas
>lights last night had enough courage of their convictions to actually risk
>a felony vandal charge. Of course some people, who are always able to grasp
>the main point at hand, will now object to my usage of the insensitive
>phrase 'war party' but back to the issue at hand. I admire people who, when
>they say 'Not in Our Town', really mean it. People who want to do what they
>can to make us miserable here. People who are actually willing to admit
>that they think it illiberal for anyone to let us have Christmas lights.
>    Of course the fracas of the last few months has had more than a few
>ironies. Tolerance and diversity gurus have successfully created a climate
>in which UI students feel free to vandalize the property of Christians. In
>fact I'm curious if there have actually been any businesses downtown,
>beyond "Christ Church Affiliates" that have been vandalized in the last few
>months. In normal circumstances I would suspect such acts of kindness to be
>more truly random. But lately, vandals have seemed more discriminating in
>their tastes: multi racial businesses and a Christian college. At this
>point I would like to invite Mr. Fox to insinuate that I tore down our own
>Christmas lights in an attempt to grab some attention. After all, I have
>Jewish blood, and we do that sort of thing. I would like to invite Andreas
>to wink, wink, nudge, nudge, insuate something about anti-semitism and
> [...]

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!