[Vision2020] Liberalism etc. on the Palouse

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam@hotmail.com
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:36:32 -0800

<P>Greg,</P>
<P>I disagree with many, if not most of the points you made in your post on December 31, 2003, but I only want to focus on the passage below:</P>
<P>"If the University of Idaho is going to foster intellectual paranoia, then I think it should be manifest. When people considering law school ask me about my alma mater, I want to be able to point to an example of the kind of education they can generally expect. I think they should be able to see what kind of limits will be placed on them, and what passes for scholarly and professional work."</P>
<P>Are you talking about ‘warning’ applicants to the law school? If so, it seems to me that you are recommending they cut off their noses to spite their faces. We both know that the law school is its own separate world on the U of I campus; what happens elsewhere has little if any impact on law students. The activities of the history faculty have nothing to do with the education law students can expect, won’t result in any limits being placed on them, and has absolutely no effect on ‘what passes for scholarly and professional work’ within the law school.</P>
<P>While it’s not Harvard or Yale, the U of I College of Law is a good law school, particularly if one intends to practice in Idaho. The criticisms you direct its way are incorrect and unsupportable. Your quarrel is not with the law school, and you aren’t doing Idaho residents any favors if you suggest they go elsewhere for law school, unless you intend to pay the additional tuition and costs they may incur out-of-state.</P>
<P>Sunil </P>
<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>