[Vision2020] Public Defender Religious Issues

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:23:11 -0800

Sunil,

You are correct that the contracted $154,000 for two years (payable in
monthly installments) each of the PDs receive isn't salary -- sorry I wasn't
clearer about that:  as taxpayers, we shell out $154,000+ per year for
public defender services.

However, since the attorneys also have private practices, associated costs
must be prorated.

As taxpayers footing the bill, I think we have a legitimate interest in what
our $154,000+ per year (there's a third contract I'm not familiar with, but
my *limited* understanding is that this would be a kind of "alternate public
defender" kind of thing and the compensation rate is $70/hour) for public
defense services gets us.

Not only should we not be subsidizing a private attorney's practice, I want
to know if the private attorneys providing PD services are subsidizing the
county.

JMHO & Looking Forward to Learning More,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke