[Vision2020] Hillary's slur on Indian-Americans

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:22:07 -0600

Hmmm Dick.  In my neighborhood, in Polish South Chicago, all the slang below
was slung.  However, rather than "take it" people would beat the hell out of
someone who used a term as a "slurr."  Those immigrants weren't "stronger",
but they may have acted on it differently, say with a knife or a fist.

I lived in St. Louis for a dozen years, and I imagine a lot of people would
laugh about Hillary's joke in an insider way.  There is much tension between
Asian shop keepers and African American communities and white neighborhood
organizations.  It's a very complex set of issues--about who sells liquor
and cigarettes, about who owns things and who buys goods, about crime,
power, money, families, safe nieghborhoods.  I'm not defending Hillary's
humor--let's talk about why it offends some folks.  But, in the context of
issues in that community, it's an insider joke with a lot of referents.

These discussions--the humor, the response, the questions--are not whiney.
They reflect real, meaty, challenging issues in real communities.
Immigrants today aren't more or less whiney, industrious, or anything else.
If you look at the history of immigration, the groups and their concerns
were very complex--just look at the wobblies in your own back yard.  Did
they just shut up and assimilate?  Should they have?

Anyway the golden days aren't, and the issues are more complex than you may
think.

Amy Smoucha