[Vision2020] Liberalism and Diversity on the Palouse

Gregory C Dickison gdickison@moscow.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:40:46 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C3CFBC.D7AF0A40

=93=85it is the position of this office that everyone, without =
exception, is
entitled to all human rights, as defined by the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights and subsequent human rights treaties and declarations =
developed
and adopted by the international community of nations, including the
government of the United States of America.  Any contrary opinion or
perspective is counter to more than 50 years of progress in the field of
human rights.=94 Ra=FAl S=E1nchez on behalf of the University of Idaho =
Office of
Diversity and Human Rights
(http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/diversity/Diversity%20at%20UI/diversity_at_UI=
.ht
m; emphasis in original).

=20

Over the last few weeks in Moscow, during the fracas over biblical
Christianity, history, and =93what Doug Wilson and Christ Church really
believe,=94 it has been amply demonstrated just how dogmatically =
entrenched
are the adherents to this doctrine of diversity, and how modern =
liberalism
responds to anyone who dares to challenge it. It is now manifestly clear
that there are certain things it is not acceptable to say, churches it =
is
not acceptable to attend, parts of the Bible it is not acceptable to
believe, people living and dead you may not speak kindly of, people you =
may
not associate with, businesses you may not patronize, books you may not
read, ideas you may not hold, questions you may not ask, and thoughts =
you
may not develop or express. If you transgress you will not be met with =
what
would be hoped for in a university community: reasoned discourse, =
scholarly
research and academic debate. Instead, the machinery of =93diversity=94 =
will
kick in to high gear, and a campaign of disinformation and character
assassination will begin. Even the University of Idaho, a place where =
the
free exchange of ideas should be foundational, will work through its
administration, faculty, staff and students to shut you down and deny =
you
the =93human rights=94 they profess to promote and protect.

=20

Just enough truth has been told about Doug Wilson and the members of =
Christ
Church as may be handily fashioned into a stick to beat us with. The =
rest
has been half-truths, outright lies, slanders and innuendoes. We have =
been
associated with =93neo-confederates=94 and =93holocaust deniers=94 and =
people we
don=92t even know, whether the associations are real or not. The =
presidents of
the University of Idaho and Washington State University have issued
statements the substance of which is, =93I=92m not sure what=92s going =
on, but my
staff tells me its bad and so I hereby condemn it.=94 The University of
Idaho=92s Office of Diversity and Human Rights has an official web page
dedicated to monitoring us. The official university page provides a link =
a private page run by Tom Hansen, also dedicated to monitoring us and =
our
alleged co-conspirators. Mr. Hansen provides links to what we have =
written
as if that alone is sufficient for our condemnation. Mr. Hansen=92s page =
gives
people the opportunity to =93sign=94 a letter, which itself perpetuates =
false
assertions about the church=92s annual history conference, and makes it =
very
clear that we are not welcome here in our own town. University of Idaho
history professors Sean Quinlan and William Ramsey wrote a =
=93response=94 to
Doug Wilson=92s and Steve Wilkins=92 booklet on slavery which =
incorrectly states
the booklet=92s purpose and premise; makes false and sloppy claims about
Christ Church and its ministries, New St. Andrews College, and people
associated with them; and generates more conspiracy theories than the =
JFK
assassination. It is published without review at the ODHR web site. =
Retired
University of Idaho professor Nicholas Gier has made various public =
charges
regarding our lack of scholarly or academic credentials, has declared
without review that he has refuted some of our historical and =
theological
positions, and challenged us to respond. When we chose to ignore him, he
invoked what he called =93protocols of academic exchange=94 and declared =
himself
the winner of a debate that never took place. To top it all off, local
businesses have been boycotted and vandalized only because they are =
owned by
members of Christ Church, all while Christ Church is being accused of
inciting violence and murder.

=20

In the wake of the growing hysteria, the elders of Christ Church decided =
publicly respond. Members of the church tried to engage in public debate =
and
discussion on Vision 2020, the electronic community forum. We wrote =
letters
to the editor of the local paper. Doug Wilson held two public sessions
during which he explained his position and provided an unfiltered
opportunity for questions from the public. Many who attended were
enlightened, encouraged and satisfied with what they heard, even if they =
did
not agree with it. Yet those who were most vocal in their condemnation =
of
Wilson were equally vociferous in their refusal to hear him out, and in
encouraging others to ignore him, as well. The verdict was in. No =
defense
was allowed. The very fact that we answered back was labeled by some
(notably neo-Confederate hunter Edward Sebesta) as a =93distraction=94
technique, just another tactic of the conspiracy, and further evidence =
that
we are just as bad as they say, if not worse. Christians guilty of no =
worse
crime than thinking differently were branded with a scarlet letter.

=20

When I was in high school and college, I thought of myself as a liberal =
and
ran with a liberal crowd. I liked to think differently and cut against =
the
prevailing orthodoxy. The liberal tradition I was part of would never =
have
tried to forcibly prevent dissent or take refuge in self-righteousness. =
We
tried to be thoughtful, articulate and intellectually engaged. The =
current
liberalism is a different animal. It declares a position to be true, and
then seeks to silence any further discussion through ridicule and =
slander.
It preaches the egalitarian doctrine of relativism, but then grants the
imprimatur of absolute truth to the latest manifestation of the =
evolution of
liberal thought. It is undeniably and unerringly true simply because it =
is
consented to by the liberal elite, and all who may disagree can quite
literally pack their bags and leave. Dissent is actively suppressed. =
This is
diversity? There is more diversity in a bowl of macaroni and cheese. =
This is
liberalism? It is hypocrisy and fraud. It is more conservative than the
worst caricature of Jerry Falwell I have ever seen. It is bad enough by
itself. Now it is being promulgated as the official position of =
Idaho=92s
premier university.

=20

I know that two of my dear friends and brethren, Pastor Douglas Wilson =
of
Christ Church and Dean Roy Atwood of New St. Andrews College, have asked
that the U of I begin to extricate itself from its embarrassing =
involvement
in this intellectual pogrom by removing the Quinlan and Ramsey hit piece
from the ODHR=92s web site. I must respectfully disagree. While the =
piece is
bad enough, it is merely a symptom of a much larger problem of =
entrenched
bigotry, intolerance and fear of ideas within academia. If the =
University of
Idaho is going to foster intellectual paranoia, then I think it should =
be
manifest. When people considering law school ask me about my alma mater, =
want to be able to point to an example of the kind of education they can
generally expect. I think they should be able to see what kind of limits
will be placed on them, and what passes for scholarly and professional =
work.
For this purpose the Quinlan and Ramsey piece is superb. Please, leave =
it
there.

=20

None of this is an objection to opinions being expressed which might run
contrary to mine. I do not ask or expect to be =93just left alone=94 =
when I
speak out. I do not know anyone involved in this situation who does. The
gospel of Jesus Christ, which is at the root of all this, is a momentous
historical event. We are not shy about proclaiming it and applying it to
every part of life. We know that there will be times when that rubs =
people
the wrong way, and when it will provoke a strong response. When it does, =
we
want to respond by persuading, by discussing, by debating, and by =
adorning
our lives with truth, beauty and goodness. We are not revolutionaries, =
and
have no desire to impose a theocratic and Taliban-like regime, such as =
has
been caricatured.

=20

Christianity is a diverse and liberal faith. We would say more truly =
diverse
and liberal than what is currently being trafficked in Moscow. That does =
not
mean that there are not limits and boundaries, and that =93anything =
goes.=94 No
school of thought really believes otherwise.

=20

And while we expect opposition from those who disagree, we expect that =
the
opponents will at least be consistent with and faithful to their own
doctrines. Telling lies instead of trying to ascertain the truth, =
ridiculing
and slandering instead of debating and discussing, and engaging in
intellectual cleansing are antithetical to the doctrine of diversity =
that
the University of Idaho and the Moscow community proclaim.

=20

Gregory C. Dickison

Lawyer & Counselor at Law

208 S. Main #2 / PO Box 8846

Moscow, Idaho 83843

Tel: (208) 882-4009

Fax: (208) 882-1001

=20

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C3CFBC.D7AF0A40

xmlns:st1=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" =

<head>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"PlaceName"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"PlaceType"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"PostalCode"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"State"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"City"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"place"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"Street"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"address"/>
<!--[if !mso]>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
<![endif]-->
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>&#8220;&#8230;it is the position of this office that =
<u>everyone</u>,
without exception, is entitled to <u>all</u> human rights, as defined by =
the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights and subsequent human rights =
treaties and
declarations developed and adopted by the international community of =
nations,
including the government of the United States of America.&nbsp; Any =
contrary
opinion or perspective is counter to more than 50 years of progress in =
the
field of human rights.&#8221; Ra=FAl S=E1nchez on behalf of the =
University of Idaho
Office of Diversity and Human Rights (<a
href=3D"http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/diversity/Diversity%20at%20UI/diversit=
y_at_UI.htm">http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/diversity/Diversity%20at%20UI/div=
ersity_at_UI.htm</a>;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Over the last few weeks in Moscow, during the fracas =
over biblical
Christianity, history, and &#8220;what Doug Wilson and Christ Church =
really
believe,&#8221; it has been amply demonstrated just how dogmatically =
[...]
machinery of &#8220;diversity&#8221;
will kick in to high gear, and a campaign of disinformation and =
character assassination
will begin. Even the <st1:place w:st=3D"on"><st1:PlaceType =
w:st=3D"on">University</st1:PlaceType>
 of <st1:PlaceName w:st=3D"on">Idaho</st1:PlaceName></st1:place>, a =
place where
the free exchange of ideas should be foundational, will work through its
administration, faculty, staff and students to shut you down and deny =
you the &#8220;human
rights&#8221; they profess to promote and =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Just enough truth has been told about Doug Wilson and =
the
members of <st1:place w:st=3D"on"><st1:PlaceName =
w:st=3D"on">Christ</st1:PlaceName>
 <st1:PlaceType w:st=3D"on">Church</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> as may be =
handily fashioned
into a stick to beat us with. The rest has been half-truths, outright =
lies,
slanders and innuendoes. We have been associated with =
&#8220;neo-confederates&#8221;
and &#8220;holocaust deniers&#8221; and people we don&#8217;t even know, =
whether
the associations are real or not. The presidents of the <st1:PlaceType =
w:st=3D"on">University</st1:PlaceType>
of <st1:PlaceName w:st=3D"on">Idaho</st1:PlaceName> and <st1:place =
w:st=3D"on"><st1:PlaceName
 w:st=3D"on">Washington</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType =
w:st=3D"on">State</st1:PlaceType>
 <st1:PlaceType w:st=3D"on">University</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> have =
issued
statements the substance of which is, &#8220;I&#8217;m not sure =
what&#8217;s
going on, but my staff tells me its bad and so I hereby condemn =
it.&#8221; The <st1:place
w:st=3D"on"><st1:PlaceType w:st=3D"on">University</st1:PlaceType> of =
<st1:PlaceName
 w:st=3D"on">Idaho</st1:PlaceName></st1:place>&#8217;s Office of =
Diversity and
Human Rights has an official web page dedicated to monitoring us. The =
official
university page provides a link to a private page run by Tom Hansen, =
also
dedicated to monitoring us and our alleged co-conspirators. Mr. Hansen =
provides
links to what we have written as if that alone is sufficient for our
condemnation. Mr. Hansen&#8217;s page gives people the opportunity to =
&#8220;sign&#8221;
a letter, which itself perpetuates false assertions about the =
church&#8217;s
annual history conference, and makes it very clear that we are not =
welcome here
in our own town. University of Idaho history professors Sean Quinlan and
William Ramsey wrote a &#8220;response&#8221; to Doug Wilson&#8217;s and =
Steve
Wilkins&#8217; booklet on slavery which incorrectly states the =
booklet&#8217;s purpose
and premise; makes false and sloppy claims about Christ Church and its
ministries, New St. Andrews College, and people associated with them; =
and
generates more conspiracy theories than the JFK assassination. It is =
published
without review at the ODHR web site. <st1:PlaceName =
w:st=3D"on">Retired</st1:PlaceName>
<st1:PlaceType w:st=3D"on">University</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:State =
w:st=3D"on"><st1:place
 w:st=3D"on">Idaho</st1:place></st1:State> professor Nicholas Gier has =
made
various public charges regarding our lack of scholarly or academic =
credentials,
has declared without review that he has refuted some of our historical =
and
theological positions, and challenged us to respond. When we chose to =
ignore
him, he invoked what he called &#8220;protocols of academic =
exchange&#8221; and
declared himself the winner of a debate that never took place. To top it =
all
off, local businesses have been boycotted and vandalized only because =
they are
owned by members of Christ Church, all while Christ Church is being =
accused of

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>In the wake of the growing hysteria, the elders of =
<st1:place
w:st=3D"on"><st1:PlaceName w:st=3D"on">Christ</st1:PlaceName> =
<st1:PlaceType w:st=3D"on">Church</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>
decided to publicly respond. Members of the church tried to engage in =
public
debate and discussion on Vision 2020, the electronic community forum. We =
wrote letters
to the editor of the local paper. Doug Wilson held two public sessions =
during
which he explained his position and provided an unfiltered opportunity =
for
questions from the public. Many who attended were enlightened, =
encouraged and
satisfied with what they heard, even if they did not agree with it. Yet =
those
who were most vocal in their condemnation of <st1:City =
w:st=3D"on"><st1:place
 w:st=3D"on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> were equally vociferous in =
their refusal
to hear him out, and in encouraging others to ignore him, as well. The =
verdict was
in. No defense was allowed. The very fact that we answered back was =
labeled by
some (notably neo-Confederate hunter Edward Sebesta) as a =
&#8220;distraction&#8221;
technique, just another tactic of the conspiracy, and further evidence =
that we
are just as bad as they say, if not worse. Christians guilty of no worse =
crime
than thinking differently were branded with a scarlet =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>When I was in high school and college, I thought of =
[...]
is being promulgated as the official position of <st1:State =
w:st=3D"on"><st1:place
 w:st=3D"on">Idaho</st1:place></st1:State>&#8217;s premier =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I know that two of my dear friends and brethren, =
Pastor Douglas
Wilson of Christ Church and Dean Roy Atwood of New St. Andrews College, =
have
asked that the U of I begin to extricate itself from its embarrassing =
involvement
in this intellectual pogrom by removing the Quinlan and Ramsey hit piece =
from
the ODHR&#8217;s web site. I must respectfully disagree. While the piece =
is bad
enough, it is merely a symptom of a much larger problem of entrenched =
bigotry, intolerance
and fear of ideas within academia. If the <st1:place =
w:st=3D"on"><st1:PlaceType
 w:st=3D"on">University</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName =
w:st=3D"on">Idaho</st1:PlaceName></st1:place>
is going to foster intellectual paranoia, then I think it should be =
manifest.
When people considering law school ask me about my alma mater, I want to =
be
able to point to an example of the kind of education they can generally =
expect.
I think they should be able to see what kind of limits will be placed on =
them, and
what passes for scholarly and professional work. For this purpose the =
Quinlan
and Ramsey piece is superb. Please, leave it =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>None of this is an objection to opinions being =
expressed
which might run contrary to mine. I do not ask or expect to be =
&#8220;just left
alone&#8221; when I speak out. I do not know anyone involved in this =
situation
who does. The gospel of Jesus Christ, which is at the root of all this, =
is a
momentous historical event. We are not shy about proclaiming it and =
applying it
to every part of life. We know that there will be times when that rubs =
people
the wrong way, and when it will provoke a strong response. When it does, =
we
want to respond by persuading, by discussing, by debating, and by =
adorning our
lives with truth, beauty and goodness. We are not revolutionaries, and =
have no
desire to impose a theocratic and Taliban-like regime, such as has been

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Christianity is a diverse and liberal faith. We would =
say
more truly diverse and liberal than what is currently being trafficked =
in <st1:City
w:st=3D"on"><st1:place w:st=3D"on">Moscow</st1:place></st1:City>. That =
does not
mean that there are not limits and boundaries, and that &#8220;anything =
goes.&#8221;
No school of thought really believes =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>And while we expect opposition from those who =
disagree, we
expect that the opponents will at least be consistent with and faithful =
their own doctrines. Telling lies instead of trying to ascertain the =
truth,
ridiculing and slandering instead of debating and discussing, and =
engaging in
intellectual cleansing are antithetical to the doctrine of diversity =
that the
University of Idaho and the Moscow community =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Gregory C. Dickison</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Lawyer &amp; Counselor at =
Law</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>208 S. Main #2 / <st1:address w:st=3D"on"><st1:Street =
w:st=3D"on">PO
  Box</st1:Street> 8846</st1:address></span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

size=3D2
  face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Moscow</span></font></st1:Ci=
ty><font
 size=3D2 face=3DArial><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>, <st1:State
 w:st=3D"on">Idaho</st1:State> <st1:PostalCode =
w:st=3D"on">83843</st1:PostalCode></span></font></st1:place><o:p></o:p></=
p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Tel: (208) 882-4009</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>Fax: (208) 882-1001</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C3CFBC.D7AF0A40--