[Vision2020] IKON update (survey questions)

Mike Weatherford fueledbyramen@hotmail.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:08:42 -0800

>4.  IKON developed an on-line survey aimed at identifying areas in which
>could be improved or made more economically efficient.  [I suggest that
>IKON, in
>the interest of fair play  release the survey questions - so the public at
>large could note the nature of the survey and their transparent agenda to
>secure
>data to aid in any future bid proposals.]

I recieved a copy of this survey, but had originally deleted it from my mail
account. However, since Vandalmail is good enough to keep stuff like that
around until you actually /delete/ it, I still have access to the survey.
Without further ado, here are the IKON survey questions (a -- between
questions indicates a new page of the test):

1) Mailstop / Name / Phone
2) Are You Faculty/Staff?
--
3) Are you a Student?
--
4) Do you have a Mailstop on campus? (If not, the survey ends)
--
5) Where is it Located?
6) Do you recieve Newspapers / Magazines?
--
7) Do you recieve direct "Junk Mail"?
--

	7-8 AM
	8-9 AM
	9-10 AM
	10-11 AM
	11-12 PM
	12-1 PM
	1-2 PM
	2-3 PM
	3-4 PM
	4-5 PM
	5-6 PM
	Other, Please Specify
(Radio Buttons, textbox for 'Other)
13) Is this time satisfactory for you?
--
14) What are the best aspects of the current Student Mail Center? (comment
text box)

... and that was the end of the test. No "Please review data for accuracy",
no "Press 'ok' to submit your test information". Just a 'Next' button that
led to a "Thanks for participating &c &c!"-style window.

Now, I'm not going to say that I think that theres a few things wrong with
that test, but I think theres a few things wrong with that test:
- The phrase 'Mailstop' is not defined (that sounds nitpicky, but
seriously.. I have no idea what that is. I left it blank, and only realized
the meaning once I got into the actual meat of the test...)

- It is possible to enter only one of three lines in question #1 (which
could have been fixed by adding something like TWO LINES of code to the
project, and makes it the saddest webform I've ever seen.)

- Questions #8 and #9 feel to me like leading questions. ("Oh, not that
you're aware of? But it /could/ have happened!")

- I think they could've EASILY made it one-three pages long, instead of 11.
(Personal info, questions, comment text boxes = three pages = less server
stress, less F/U/D for the survey taker.)

- They didn't even have any sort of disclaimer set up promising harsh
retribution or a stern talking-to for entering misleading information. Not
so much as a "Please don't lie to us, this is important."

- I am very disappointed in the lack of a "Please check your answers to make
sure that they were right" section. For longer tests, its exclusion could be
understandable, but (page count notwithstanding,) 15 questions isn't too
many to have people go over again. Espescially if their responses could
determine a major future expenditure for the University.

So yes, I accidentally submitted some information to the test. In all
fairness to myself, I /was/ using my roommate's experience with the Student
Mail Services last year as the basis for my answers. So its still more or
less relevant information that was submitted. In a round-about fashion. And
we all learned something. :-)

So those are the survey questions. How 'bout that?

Cheers!
-Mike

Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S.
locations. http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx