[Vision2020] Recent P.S. Stile Postings

keely emerinemix kjajmix1@msn.com
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:16:10 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01C3FC83.D9CE5800

Mr. Fox,

I've enjoyed many of your postings, although I disagree with your =
conclusions below.  It's not my intention to debate theology or =
hermeneutics via Vision 2020, but I wanted to offer a correction on one =
point:  the "immaculate conception" is a pre-Reformation doctrine that =
asserts that Mary, as co-Redemptrix, was conceived without original sin. =
 It's not a doctrine with which I agree, but regardless of how I see it, =
it doesn't mean the same thing as Jesus' supernatural ("spermless," if =
you insist!) conception.  Also, the geneological account of Jesus in the =
Gospel of Luke refers to the presumption on the part of the audience and =
Jesus' peers that Joseph was the bio-dad of Mary's son -- a presumption =
corrected by the Gospel accounts of Jesus' actual conception.  Of =
course, I believe in miracles and also in the veracity of Scripture =
(properly translated; inerrant only in the original documents, =
translated by scholars of the original languages who have a firm grasp =
of what is and isn't metaphor, poetry, hyperbole, simile, etc., with due =
attention to historical, cultural, religious and symbolic context -- but =
I'm clueless as to what single word would represent all of that!)  I =
recognize that we disagree on this, and I offer the above only to keep =
the conversation going.

I think we can agree that mindless, anti-intellectual and wooden reading =
of the Scriptures reduces the text to Dick-and-Jane status and makes the =
reader about as effective in her spiritual life as Sally, Spot, and Puff =
-- cute and fluffy, but wholly unable to address a world full of the =
profound.

Humbly, and still trying to understand it all myself,

keely emerine mix

  ----- Original Message -----=20