[Vision2020] UI Press Catalogue

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:24:27 EST

-------------------------------1077690267

Dear Dr. Harkin,

I just took a look at the UI Press catalogue.  I note that they *were*
offering over 85 books.  I do not know the individual publishing dates, and so
perhaps some exceed the 30 year  parameters you set and your number of 41published
books.  Nonetheless, they represent a unique collection, and certainly reflect
the recent interest in and support for academic cooperation with Nez Perce
people.  Sometimes intrinsic value is of far greater importance than a profit /
loss statement.  The UI Press represents such a paradigm.  Did you consider
comparable financial data on other academic presses?  It is my sense that most
universities, particularly land grant institutions, routinely subsidize their
academic presses, if they are fortunate enough to have them.

Thank you for your response to Vision 2020 on this important community topic.

Rosemary Huskey

Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.

-------------------------------1077690267

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2734.1600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Dear Dr. Harkin,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I just took a look at the UI Press catalogue.&nbsp; I note that they *w=
ere* offering over 85 books.&nbsp; I do not know the individual publishing d=
ates, and so perhaps&nbsp;some&nbsp;exceed the 30 year&nbsp; parameters you=20=
set and your number of 41published books.&nbsp; Nonetheless, they represent=20=
a unique collection, and certainly&nbsp;reflect the recent&nbsp;interest in&=
nbsp;and support for&nbsp;academic cooperation with&nbsp;Nez Perce people.&n=
bsp; Sometimes intrinsic&nbsp;value is of far greater importance&nbsp;than a=
 profit / loss statement.&nbsp; The&nbsp;UI Press represents such a paradigm=
.&nbsp; Did you consider comparable financial&nbsp;data on other academic pr=
esses?&nbsp; It is my sense that most universities, particularly land grant=20=
institutions, routinely subsidize their academic presses, if they are fortun=
ate enough to have them.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you for your&nbsp;response to Vision 2020 on this important commu=
nity topic.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>Rosemary Huskey</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" PTSIZ=
E=3D"12">Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.</FONT></DIV></BODY=