[Vision2020] The loss of the UI Press

hayfields@moscow.com hayfields@moscow.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 05:55:59 GMT

Visionaries, Interim and Appointed Presidents, and Rep. Ringo,
I cannot be silent about the blow to the UI reputation, prestige and employee
morale that goes with this decision.
I have been connected with the University of Idaho my entire life. My
grandfather was a faculty member and an alum, my grandmother, mother,
father,sisters, husband,brother and myself have all attended the University of
Idaho, and worked for it as well.
As a family I think we have one of the closest ties to the UI that any family
can boast. It has educated and fed us.  For the last 10 years not one day has
gone by when it has not been in my thoughts for one reason or another.  And I
am not exaggerating.
But now I feel the UI administration is turning its back on those of us who
looked to it as a beacon of hope in Idaho.  The closing of the UI Press
underscores for us that its mission, its reason for being, is slowly being
eroded.  The idea of education for the sake of education no longer seems to be
at its heart.  Its programs selectively must "turn a profit" and show "added
value". But this is not a grocery store, its a University. It is THE University
in Idaho.  I understand that difficult decisions about money must be made, but
those decisions are not being made across the board. They seem to be picking at
small programs and cannabalizing them one by one to feed the appetite of
athletics and  other programs.  We are in a budget crunch, but no one suggested
letting the football team have an "interim" coach, selected from among
available employees.  Athletics has not ever made money. They clear no profit,
yet I see not one Vandal Athletic program being slated for removal.  If we are
talking about dollars, why are we still continuing to host the Jazz Festival or
entertain the notion of a Lionel Hampton Center? Both programs cost money not
make it. And it is because they enhance the University experience. As does the
UI Press. The UI Press lends academic integrity to the University of Idaho. It
produces important academic journals and books. It offers something that no
other college in Idaho does. Lets scrap the football or basketball. These are
items already offered by the other colleges. Not this this gem, this small but
important press.

 I urge all citizens and employees to speak up
about the direction we want OUR University to take.

           http://www.fsr.net/