[Vision2020] Universities, university presses, and Titanic folly

Jeff Harkins jeffh@moscow.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:06:50 -0800

Thanks Ron for clarifying the situation.  I can validate that your comments
are correct.

The press published approximately 41 books over 30 years - none was a
fiscal success.  In addition to losing money each year, the Press received
an operating subsidy - in some years totalling $60,000.  The only surprise
to me was how long it took to make a decision - the Press has been under
scrutiny for over 6 years.

And it will not be the only cuts we experience in the near term - the UI as
we all know will be scarred for a long time - we must all do our best to
protect the "core" of the place - once we figure out what that is!!