[Vision2020] Why not shut down the Library too then?

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:27:18 -0800

Donovan, with due respect, I think it's a little simplistic to say that the
current budget problems are only as temporary as the current (acting)
president.  And to say the budget will soon be back?  Perhaps if you use the
word "soon" in geologic terms.  It's going to take years.  Gary Michael was
given the unenviable task of performing necessary academic triage on a badly
wounded institution.   The damage was not done by him, but by the previous
adminstration.  A classic case of being caught between a rock and a hard
place.  No matter what he has done, or will do in the future, he willl incur
the wrath of some elements of the university, community and state.  As I
said, an unenviable task, and I do not envy him.

                    Carl Westberg Jr.

>From: DonovArn@aol.com
>To: rforce@moscow.com, vision2020@moscow.com
>Subject: [Vision2020] Why not shut down the Library too then?
>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:57:52 EST
>
>In a message dated 2/24/2004 12:16:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>rforce@moscow.com writes:
>The UI Press has never made a profit. They ran
>up almost an $800,000 deficit by 2001.
>Education always runs in the red. The Library costs us millions of dollars
>every year, should we shut that down too? How much does the UI Science
>Department costs us? Oh, better shut that down. Come to think about it, UI
>Costs the
>taxpayer $100 million every. That is $1 billion since 1994! Boy, we better
>shut
>the UI down so we can save some money.
>
>The beautiful thing about education is that it pays back huge dividends in
>the future so that children of today, may have a better tomorrow. Save the
>UI
>printing press. It is a vital part of the UI experience. It should be
>downsized
>and reorganized to be more efficient. But it should stay. This budget cut
>back
>is only as temporary as the current President. Soon the budget will be
>back,
>and we should have some remains of former programs for the students to
>enjoy
>and expand their educational experience in the future.
>
>Respectfully,
>
>Donovan J Arnold
>UI Alumni '03

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx