[Vision2020] Can the Highway District just buy rock?

hayfields@moscow.com hayfields@moscow.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:36:40 GMT

I was just reading the Daily News and see that the proposed rock pit on
Flannigan Creek road seems to be generating a lot of opposition. Having
experienced first hand what it is like to live next to a gravel pit, I am
naturally in great sympathy to those trying to protect their land. I am
puzzling over a comment I saw, that was attributed to Dan Carscallen, Secretary
for the highway district. I am hoping someone on the list can shed some light
for me (hopefully Dan).  Understand that I am not disputing the statement, it
was just broad enough to make me want clarification.  Can the highway district
buy rock without a bid process?  Can they just drive up to a pit and say load
up 2 tons or we need 15 tons, send the bill to us?  I thought they had to bid
for it, but wasn't sure.  Or is it just that the more possible bidders you
have, the cheaper you are likely to get rock.

Also - are there standards for "good" rock and "bad" rock?  Where would those
be?  That is a new concept for me, although I know that when used to look at
the basalt cliff across from my house, you could definitely see differences in
the rock- some was really crumbly and dirty looking.

Thanks
Heather Jordan

           http://www.fsr.net/