[Vision2020] Voting and Protesting: History's Lessons?

DonovArn@aol.com DonovArn@aol.com
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:43:43 EST

-------------------------------1076539423

Ted,

It is rare that we disagree. However, on this issue we do, and here is why.
The US Constitution states that each state can choose their Electors in any way
they choose. The people of Florida, voted for Kathleen Harris. They voted for
the members of the Florida State Legislature, which comprise of a heavy
Republican majority, even now, and they voted for Jeb Bush for Governor.
That was not an error. They have had several elections to fix, or replace,
these office holders. It doesn't matter if the vote is 99% to 1% for Gore. The
State Legislature can choose whatever Electors they want however they want.
They can even do it with a coin toss or an apple bobbing contest if they choose
that method.
The popular vote has no meaning whatsoever. I don't like it. But the fact
remains that people are just indirect determiners of selecting the President. We
vote for state legislatures, the state legislatures determine how the electors
are choosen, the electors vote for the President. I would prefer a direct
popular vote and only use the Electoral College as a back up if the election was,
say less than a 50,000 vote difference.

I do agree with you however, that the laws are wrong and that there is much
corruption in the system. But another thing you should know is that money and
the media determines the entire election process anyway.

I also appreciate all your time and research on the facts of the case and
know you spent a great of time and energy researching them. I have no doubt all
your findings are all true.

Respectfully,

Donovan J Arnold

In a message dated 2/11/2004 12:25:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,