[Vision2020] The Damage Done in this Community

LuJane Nisse publisher lujane@lataheagle.com
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:38:04 -0800

Saying "I can't understand why..." does not mean a person doesn't stand up
and take their place and "do" what they can. It just means "I can't
understand" and I can't. That type of behavior is beyond my comprehension.
It makes no sense.

-----Original Message-----
From: Melissa Hendrickson [mailto:hend5953@uidaho.edu]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 3:35 PM
To: LuJane Nisse publisher
Cc: 'Vision 20/20'
Subject: Re: RE: [Vision2020] The Damage Done in this Community

I am not directing this at anyone in particular,(it
just happens that LJ said it this time around, this
email is not aimed at you as an individual) but I am
tired of people saying...

> I doubt I will ever understand why folks HURT
others because they are
> different. Is it fear? Intolerance? Ignorance?
> I'm sorry for this lady and her problems. I wish I
could change it
> for her.

If you don't understand, educate yourself, find out
where and why injustice happens, you can audit any
number of classes at the UI that will help you to
understand the problem.

If we all sit around saying "I feel so bad for those
poor (fill in the blank) but what can I do, the
problem is to big, I don't understand, so I will sit
in my house and watch mindless television."

That is the biggest cop out in the world, there are
people all over this world that are in pain, because
of who they are, because people would rather spit on
them than let them sit beside them in a Church,
Mosque, Synagogue whatever, this isn't  directed at
Christianity, I am a gay Christian and have had more
than my fair share of unnecessary pain and anguish.
 This also isn't a "gay"thing, people are still
mocked and put down for their race, gender, sex,
ethnic origin and non-dominant religion.  None of
that is right, it is bigoted and hurtful.

If a person would rather die than face another day
of persecution, what good does that do?  The world
loses a life and the Fred Phelps of the world erect
a shrine counting the number of days the person has
been in hell.

I am sick and tired of this apathic, let someone
else take care of things attitude!  If you see
injustice, if you see someone in pain, do something
to change it!

Mo