[Vision2020] The 2004 Fordham Prize for Distinguished Scholarship

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@msn.com
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:54:39 -0800

Contextual information:

The Fordham Prize, now in its second year, is awarded by the Thomas B.
Fordham Foundation for  "major contributions to education reform via
research, analysis, and successful engagement in the war of ideas."
Previous recipients include Paul Peterson, a pro-voucher researcher, and
Anthony Bryck, a proponent of Catholic parochial schools.

The President of the Fordham Foundation Board is Chester "Checkers" Finn,
another proponent of school "choice."  Perhaps he should come to Moscow--the
debacles in our charter schools might have given him food for thought!

Melynda Huskey

>From: "Dale Courtney" <dmcourtn@moscow.com>
>To: <vision2020@moscow.com>
>Subject: [Vision2020] The 2004 Fordham Prize for Distinguished Scholarship
>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 06:01:46 -0800
>
>The 2004 Fordham Prize for Distinguished Scholarship
>
>Eric A. Hanushek: The economist of public schooling
>
>     University of Rochester economics professor Eric Hanushek was
>"stunned."
>The year was 1981, two years prior to the publication of A Nation at Risk,
>the landmark Reagan-era indictment of America's schools. For days, Hanushek
>had been methodically sifting through more than 125 studies of school
>reform
>done since 1965 to prepare a summary of the data for an upcoming
>school-finance court case. But the results of the literature review by this
>lifelong Democrat weren't turning out as expected. Most of the evaluations
>showed no relationship at all between the amount of money schools spent per
>student or per teacher and levels of student achievement. And for every
>infrequent analysis that suggested spending could boost student
>performance,
>Hanushek soon stumbled on another study that indicated more resources could
>depress achievement, too.
>
>     Then there was the elephant in the room that education analysts had
>long
>downplayed: since 1960, spending on students had soared and the number of
>pupils in an average classroom had dropped sharply-yet test scores had
>declined.
>
>     Hanushek's stark conclusions ran contrary to almost every tenet of
>both
>the ed school establishment and the teacher unions. Not surprisingly,
>Hanushek, who had never courted controversy before, was soon treated as "a
>lonely kook." His heresy was to challenge what might be called the "'More'
>solution": more funding and more teachers, leading smaller classes, would
>enable poor children and minority youth to get the same educational
>opportunities as affluent kids. But in the debate that ensued over decades
>to come, a funny thing happened: Hanushek's unexpected, unwelcome findings
>were confirmed over and over again.
>
>     In more ways than one, Hanushek was an unlikely dissenter from the
>orthodoxy of the public school establishment. As a child growing up in the
>suburbs of Cleveland, he attended public schools from kindergarten through
>twelfth grade and developed a fondness for public education. A favored aunt
>was a teacher and principal in Cleveland's schools and, years later,
>Hanushek's own children would attend public schools from elementary school
>to graduation. Hanushek's father, the manager of a small manufacturing
>firm,
>never attended college himself, and both parents drilled into young "Rick"
>Hanushek a sense of the importance of schooling at a young age. His
> [...]

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology."
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/hookedontech.armx